Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Sentra 2002 replaced o2 sensor, foam; ECM still bad. Forums > > Sentra 2002 replaced o2 sensor, foam; ECM still bad. Sentra 2002 replaced o2 sensor, foam; ECM still bad.
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 08-07-2007, 04:16 PM
BWnissan

Default Sentra 2002 replaced o2 sensor, foam; ECM still bad.

Nissan Sentra 2002 (5 years and six months old; 52k miles)
Finallly I got the foam replaced, as well as the engine sensors which were also part of the recall. In addition, I have replaced o2 sensor (P0037); however, after 50 miles and reseting of the computer I still have the same error message P0037.
Aprivate electician, who tested all the wires to air condition, told me that the only wire which does not give proper output is that one from the computer; therefore, he sugessed replacing ECM.

If there is 80k miles warranty on the ECM (my warranty book it is 50kmiles) can how can have the dealer replace it with out a cost to me. They say they need to do the A/C testing first for which I have to pay gain and that starts from $220 they also suggest replacing o2 sensor again which is $350..

I may end up eventually suing them for these all problems and lack of air-condition for aver a year and that the ECM foam was replaced 4 years after the recall. Maybe if they pay few million$ in punitive damages they will address customer issues more appropriately.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:50 PM
2015 Rogue

The diagnosis and replacement of the ecm should be free of charge. 8yrs 80k miles. P0037 is for the oxygen sensor heater. You didn't replace the o2 sensor with an aftermarket one did you? On the recall they do not replace the ecm foam they just take it out. You should clarify with the dealer exactly what you are willing to pay for. In order to get them to look at it you will probably need to authorize a diag fee. You should tell them that if the problem is found not to be the ecm that you will pay the diag but if it is the ecm you are not willing to pay diag on a warranty repair.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:27 AM
CindyLuHu13

Unhappy 2002 ECM Replacement & Foam

I also had to have the ECM in my 2002 Nissan Sentra replaced about one month ago. I did not know about the recall to remove the foam until I took it in because the Service Engine light was on. They told me about the foam at that time. My question is... why was the foam recalled in the first place? Was it causing the ECM to go bad? If so, why did I have to pay the $850+ to have it replaced? I feel that Nissan should have replaced it at no charge.

My radio has also stopped working. I'm very disappointed with the quality of this car. I've always thought that Nissan's were very dependable, high-quality products until now. :(
Old 09-21-2007, 07:29 AM
CindyLuHu13

Were you able to get Nissan to reimburse you for the cost of replacing the ECM?
Old 09-21-2007, 07:34 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyLuHu13 View Post
SNIP...My radio has also stopped working...SNIP
Stopped working - do you mean it doesn't even light up?

FIND OUT WHAT YOUR REPAIR SHOULD COST?
Repair Cost Estimator

BUY NISSAN ACCESSORIES!
Nissanhelp Store
Old 09-21-2007, 08:44 AM
CindyLuHu13

Default 2002 Nissan Sentra - Radio

It lights up, but the volume does not work - when you turn it up as high as it will go, you can barely hear it. We thought it was the speakers, but we believe it's the radio itself. Have you had this problem with yours?
Old 09-21-2007, 10:19 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyLuHu13 View Post
It lights up, but the volume does not work - when you turn it up as high as it will go, you can barely hear it. We thought it was the speakers, but we believe it's the radio itself. Have you had this problem with yours?
Did you try a to see if it is just the radio itself?

Also, check all fuses.

Last edited by vpnavy; 09-21-2007 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:39 AM
bogumilnissan

The dealer agreed to replace the ECM at no cost to me because there is 80k miles warranty on this. I had to go to a private electrician to prove to the dealer that ecm is bad and they got to replace it.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:19 PM
rachhoust

Default 2002 Sentra ECM replacement

2002 Nissan Sentra GXE 1.8L federal emissions.

A few years ago the a/c stopped blowing cold. Took it into a shop. They diagnosed the a/c is fine but the ECM needs to be replaced. In the last year the engine cooling fan quit coming on when the temperature gets hot. I live in AZ so that happens quite a lot. I turn the heater on to get the temperature back to a normal range.

I want to go ahead and replace the ecm now. The dealership wants almost $800 which includes install, flash and registering to the vehicle. I've seen them online for between $300 and $500. Also, I found one at a salvage yard for $75 as is. I'm trying to save as much money as possible, but don't want to cut my nose off to spite my face so to speak.

Getting one from the salvage yard is probably too risky. I'm thinking of ordering one off the internet. I think they say they're already flashed. Is installing one I'll order online going to fix my problem, or is this something that only the dealership can do?

I took the old ECM out of it's box to get the part #. It was easy to get to so it should be easy to replace. I just don't know if there is programing involved that I don't know about. In other words can I get a plug and play ECM from an online company?

And to open another can of worms... is it possible there is something else wrong with the vehicle besides the ECM? Maybe I should get it diagnosed again to be sure?

Sorry for the long explanation. Any and all help will be very much appreciated.

Last edited by rachhoust; 07-30-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:43 AM
2002 Sentra

Bud, did you solve your problem yet?
I have same, one and do not know what to do?
If you find any solution, please let me know,
Thx.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:10 PM
rachhoust

Unhappy ECM bad on 2002 Sentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo M View Post
Bud, did you solve your problem yet?
I have same, one and do not know what to do?
If you find any solution, please let me know,
Thx.
No, I still have not received a reply from anyone here. Am waiting for some direction before I make such an expensive purchase.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:43 AM
2002 Sentra

Thanks for replay
So we have to wait for someone to tell as what is the best to do.
If I hear anything I'll post.
Thx
Old 01-30-2010, 04:06 PM
luisturbog

Hello everyone! I also have an ECM problem, although mine started with engine misfire! I was notified today by the mechanic working on my car that the ECM is most likely my problem, I found a salvage yard that has the ECM for & $300 used & $600 new but then I was told that the dealer might have to flash the ECM! That's great! So on top of all other things I'll probably still have to tow my car to the dealer to get the computer flashed! I'm wondering if any of you have found an ECM for less? Hope we can all help! Thanks!

Tags
2002, bad, ecm, foam, replaced, sensor, sentra