Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2003 Sentra 1.8 smoking... Forums > > 2003 Sentra 1.8 smoking... 2003 Sentra 1.8 smoking...
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 09-09-2021, 12:21 PM
2003 Sentra

Unhappy 2003 Sentra 1.8 smoking...

Hello, this is probably my first post, I have an 03 Sentra GXE with the 1.8 L engine, with automatic Tranny...at 125,000 mi. Have had starting glitches for years, engine cranks but won't start until it cranks at least 10 times..this happens when it is warm, i have driven it, and i start the engine . When it's cold, i have no problems. Today though, i had to replace the battery because of the engine starting problem draining the battery,,,the battery needed replacing anyway, so...put the battery in, starts right up Cold after sitting all night, then drove it around town, came home, tried to re-start and i get a 'click' .that's all. no crank, nothing. I kept turning the ignition key as it clicked about 7 times until i see smoke coming up from the BACK of the engine..( where the starter is of course)...with a burning electrical smell. so...old dummy here quit turning the ignition key. I am going to buy a diagnostic tool, IF they make one for an 03 Sentra. It could be a zillion things,,process of elimination..but...my first car was a 67 FIrebird with a distributor, spark plugs, ignition coil, points and just a plain-Jane V8 326 4brl. carburetor...yes...a carb...now i look at this 4 cyl. 1.8, and i am lost like a blind man in a bat cave..bumping my head and going in circles. I tested the alternator, it is fine, battery is not drained and at full charge, Accessories all work when turning the ignition key, i did forget to mention that for a solid month,,my "check engine light was on...then it turned off after a month...(yep...should have checked it then...do ya think? ) so...did some research online and looked at all recalls and engine problems from other owners with similar problem...scared the caca outta me...cam and crank sensors ? weld defects on the crank shaft?..hoping mine ain't one of those, but will try entering the VIN to see the results...Does anybody here think i am even close to being on the right track? ..or do i have an excuse to give my wife so i can go buy a new truck? (4x4) Anybody has any input or need further details, thanks so much for your time

Last edited by swiftysafari; 09-09-2021 at 12:28 PM. Reason: need to add attempts at solving

Tags
sentra, smoking