Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Newbie needs help with 2005 Sentra misfiring cylinders now extreme, spark plug Forums > > Newbie needs help with 2005 Sentra misfiring cylinders now extreme, spark plug Newbie needs help with 2005 Sentra misfiring cylinders now extreme, spark plug
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 03-18-2021, 03:53 PM
2005 Sentra

Default Newbie needs help with 2005 Sentra misfiring cylinders now extreme, spark plug

Hello, this is my first post in this forum. My Sentra lives in a city that is nicknamed rain cover, AKA Vancouver Canada. This 2005 4 cylinder Sentra has 185000 km. About a year ago it started with a one-cylinder intermittent misfire. This car is used only about once a week to get groceries about a 1/2 mile away, and back. When I very occasionally used it on the highway oh, it would eventually fire all four cylinders , for a given time . Through the winter months ,The power loss gradually became worse . A week ago or so, it no longer had power to go 1/3 of a mile. I drove it back at 2 miles per hour, Home, downhill. I looked up some YouTube videos . Removing the ignition wire to the spark plugs revealed that only the leftmost cylinder ( looking from the outside the hood) firing normally. The next cylinder to the right was only slightly helping. The next two cylinders to the right were not firing at all. I replaced all four spark plugs with Autolite from Amazon.

After replacing two spark plugs on the rightmost, I turned on the engine, and thought I heard all four cylinders working. Although it was a little rough. I changed the other two spark plugs as well. Then I disconnected the battery. Unfortunately I hurt something in my knee right after, when I bent down to pick up the tools from the ground. Now I can only walk with a cane. This afternoon, I restarted the car, after connecting the battery back on. Unfortunately , The Sentra was back to working on something like 1/10 of its power and could not move slightly uphill much. So I parked it back, and disconnected the battery. Sorry for any typos from this Auto dictate. This Sentra does not leak any fluids. It runs on synthetic oil. Any information would be appreciated . Thank you in advance . The car is limping . So am I. When running the engine, there is a very strong smell of unburnt gas . I have photos. I don't know how to attach photos .
Old 06-22-2021, 12:49 PM
2010 Sentra

Default steps to find misfire

Here is what I do to find a misfire. First do a compression test. My sentra averaged 160 lbs. They should all be close to the same. A leak down test will tell you if its valves or rings. Then I pull each spark plug with the boot on and the spark plug grounded I have someone turn the key so I can watch the spark. Look for oil on the boot or a dried out boot. Then, I do the same with the fuel injectors, one at a time all pulled but the one I am testing is plugged in. I watch the pulse of fuel spray in a cone shape ( stream is bad). My last car passed all the test but it turned out the coil pack failed when it got hot. Cheap coil packs on Ebay are not worth it. You need OEM and replace all four at the same time so the impedance is the same. Also, bad PCV, CO2 or clogged fuel filter or bad pump can contribute to a misfire.

Tags
cylinders, extreme, misfiring, newbie, sentra