Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2005 Sentra Chipped key or not? Forums > > 2005 Sentra Chipped key or not? 2005 Sentra Chipped key or not?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 09-02-2019, 11:13 AM
2005 Sentra

Question 2005 Sentra Chipped key or not?

The grandson has an 05 Sentra that had a blown head gasket. We tore it down and replaced the gasket and now it is all back together. When we attempt to fire it up we get 1 spark out of each coil then no more spark out of any of the coils. The spark isn't a really big spark but enough to make me jump when it hits me. We went ahead and replaced the coils and same result. We get no error codes when reading them off the dash.

He lost his original key when it was dead and has his backup key. The backup key is not chipped. The fob with it works and does have the usual buttons indicating it has an alarm system.

Our thought is that the original key was probably chipped. Called in a mobile locksmith who could not read any codes from the computer and finally concluded that it must not be a chipped ignition.

The question I have is does anyone know with certainty if there were any of these cars that came without a chipped key? It is new enough that I thought they would probably be standard in every model by then but am not that familiar with Nissan to know for sure.

If some came not chipped any thoughts on how to troubleshoot a no error condition like this one?

Thanks in advance for any insights you might be able to share.

Tags
chipped, key, sentra