Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Dipstick Replacement: Aftermarket or OEM? Forums > > Dipstick Replacement: Aftermarket or OEM? Dipstick Replacement: Aftermarket or OEM?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 12-29-2018, 01:30 PM
Enthusiast
2006 Sentra

Default Dipstick Replacement: Aftermarket or OEM?

My 2006 Sentra's dipstick is slowly falling apart. I'm going to get a new one.

Would any ol' aftermarket OEM-compliant dipstick be fine? I'm worried that the aftermarket dipsticks might not have the correct length/measuring versus getting an OEM dipstick.

Any experience/suggestions on this one, guys? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:14 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

There are not a lot of aftermarket options that are direct-fit replacements for the factory dipstick. For the 1.8L. there's the Dorman # 917-008, which you can get from Rockauto among most auto parts stores. For the 2.5L, you'll probably have to go genuine Nissan. If you live near an auto salvage yard, there's another option for you.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:22 PM
Enthusiast
2006 Sentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj999smj View Post
There are not a lot of aftermarket options that are direct-fit replacements for the factory dipstick. For the 1.8L. there's the Dorman # 917-008, which you can get from Rockauto among most auto parts stores. For the 2.5L, you'll probably have to go genuine Nissan. If you live near an auto salvage yard, there's another option for you.

I have the base model, 1.8L. I saw the Dorman #917-008 on eBay and was tempted, but wondered if there was something so particular about the fit of dipsticks (like gas caps) to where it's best just to get an OEM dipstick.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 01-14-2019, 10:33 AM
Enthusiast
2006 Sentra

I just wanted to follow up, in case someone down the line is in the same situation.

I went ahead and got the Dorman #917-008, and after comparing the hash marks, and placement, it's a solid OEM-level fit for the 1.8L...and a savings of about $10 off of the OEM itself.

ETA: After months of use, I would NOT advise getting the Dorman dipstick. The dispstick is flimsy and it's barely etched, to where it's very hard to read the levels. I ended up going back and getting a Genuine Nissan dipstick.

Last edited by Burnt Waffle; 11-11-2019 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:37 AM
Enthusiast
2011 Versa
2017 Altima SE-R

Just pull it out a couple times pretty quick to check for scraping damage. I've seen some few uses where the aftermarket stick does not flex like the OEM part if it is thicker and then it drags lightly against say crankshaft which proceeds to try to saw it in half.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:06 AM
Enthusiast
2006 Sentra

I haven't noticed anything like that. If anything, the dipstick is very light and flimsy, to the point where you have to grab the low end as you pull it out, or else it will flex wiggle and fling oil at you when it leaves the tubing.

ETA: After months of use, I would NOT advise getting the Dorman dipstick. The dispstick is flimsy and it's barely etched, to where it's very hard to read the levels. I ended up going back and getting a Genuine Nissan dipstick.

Last edited by Burnt Waffle; 11-11-2019 at 04:31 PM.

Tags
aftermarket, dipstick, oem, replacement