Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
HELP! Transmission fluid change Forums > > HELP! Transmission fluid change HELP! Transmission fluid change
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 06-01-2018, 08:44 PM
2006 Sentra

Default HELP! Transmission fluid change

Hi. I have a 2006 Nissan Sentra SE. my transmission is acting up so I’m going to put Lucas transmission helper in it but the transmission fluid is topped off so I need to empty some but I don’t know how. Can anyone help me out?
Old 06-03-2018, 09:58 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

There is a drain plug on the transmission pan at the bottom of the transmission; should be 19MM and the gasket is Nissan # 11026-01M02. I'm not sure if the Lucas additive is a good idea, but if you are going to install it, why not do a drain and fill service at the same time? Don't use Dexron III/Mercon ATF, as it has been known to cause valve sticking in Jatco automatics. Rather, go with Nissanmatic Type "D" ATF or synthetic, aftermarket ATF like Valvoline Maxlife Full-synthetic ATF or Castrol Transmax Multi-import ATF. Typically, you'll need around 4-1/2 quarts during a drain and fill. Make sure there are no stored codes; transmission issues aren't always caused by something in the transmission itself.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:57 AM
Enthusiast
2011 Versa
2017 Altima SE-R

I used to sell plenty of that product and watched most of the transmissions go further to fail anyway. What commonly happens is that the owner waits until the trans begins to mess up and it's too late by then unless something simple is wrong like a solenoid.

'Acting up' being the key language used there.

Any ATX type of trans action is greatly affected by even the basic weight of any fluid change, the companies spending millions to get to a fluid that goes correctly through all the ports and orifices inside the valve bodies to create the proper pressures and flows that set up the way they shift. When an owner messes with that they are in effect saying they are smarter than the engineers who designed the transmissions, and that generally does not produce much of a good outcome.

Most people never learn that the majority of those chemicals tune the drivers up far more than they do the cars. Thanks for all the incentives I got from selling them of course.

If people would simply keep the normal trans fluid changed on some kind of a regular basis, the transmissions will last as long as possible and then you buy a new one. That won't happen of course, and the way things are.

Last edited by Howard Bell; 06-04-2018 at 05:59 AM.

Tags
change, fluid, transmission