Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Oil in coolant, no coolant in oil. Forums > > Oil in coolant, no coolant in oil. Oil in coolant, no coolant in oil.
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 06-06-2017, 06:50 PM
1994 Sentra

Default Oil in coolant, no coolant in oil.

I have a 1994 sentra with a ga16de motor. I have a slight buildup of sludge in the coolant that has the smell and look of motor oil mixed with coolant. My first thought was a blown head gasket. When I pull the dipstick the oil is pristine. No contamination at all. My question is: Is there another place besides the head where oil and coolant could mix? Also could this still be a blown head gasket even though the coolant is not in the lubrication system? The car did recently overheat due to a failed thermostat. That issue has been fixed. No over heating now, however I do seem to be loosing some coolant somewhere. Nothing coming out of the tailpipe though. I really need some help with this as I do not want to replace the head gasket if it is not needed. I have read all the other threads and all deal with coolant in the oil. Please help with a way to definitely diagnose head gasket or not.

Last edited by millenman; 06-07-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:56 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

If it has an automatic transmission, transmission oil can enter the coolant if the cooler inside the lower radiator tank fails. This is common on 05-10 Nissan Pathfinders/Xterras/Frontiers, but is very rare in other Nissan models. It's possible to have a blown head gasket or cracked head or block and get oil into the coolant and not vice versa. You could have your coolant chemically analyzed; high hydrocarbon levels would likely indicate compression gases entering the coolant. You could also do a cylinder leakdown test.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:08 PM
1994 Sentra

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping maybe an intake gasket or something else might cause the sludge. I think it is definitely motor oil because of the color/odor of the milky sludge. I'll try the compression leakdown test. Can I perform that with a standard compression tester? If so, how? I assume you do a regular compression test, then just wait and see if the pressure leaks down over time.
Old 06-09-2017, 12:18 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

You need a cylinder leakdown tester like linked below and an air compressor.

Super price on OTC Tools 5609 at ToolTopia.com
Old 06-09-2017, 12:14 PM
1994 Sentra

Thank you.

Tags
coolant, oil