Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
02 Sentra coolant backs up and empties from top of overflow tank Forums > > 02 Sentra coolant backs up and empties from top of overflow tank 02 Sentra coolant backs up and empties from top of overflow tank
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 11-25-2016, 07:06 AM
2002 Sentra
2008 Sentra

Default 02 Sentra coolant backs up and empties from top of overflow tank

02 sentra gxe 1.8. I fill the radiator & 15 minutes into driving I have no heat because coolant has been forced into overflow tank and exits from top escape port. Radiator is left about 20% full and I lose heat. Engine is Not running hot, when I leave engine running with radiator cap removed thermostat seems to be working correct.

Anybody have any ideas?
Old 11-25-2016, 08:54 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

I would think either you are not getting the air purged out of it...or...and considering the history of these engines....you may have a blown head gasket. I always like to use a spill-free funnel when purging, like this:

Bottom-line pricing on Lisle - 24680 at ToolTopia.com

Install the funnel and pinch off the return line to the reservoir. Jack the front end of the vehicle up as much as safely possible, which helps the air move up towards the front of the vehicle. Set the heater to the maximum hot setting, which will allow flow through the heater core. Fill the coolant system until the coolant reaches about 1/4-1/3 up the funnel. Start the engine and fix the pedal so that the engine runs around 2500-3000 RPM. Monitor the coolant in the funnel, top off as needed, and continue until the air bubbles stop coming up through the coolant and heat is blowing out of the vents; usually I'll run it about 10-15 minutes, depending on the vehicle (vehicles like Pathfinders with rear heat I'll run a little longer). You should also make sure the electric fan comes on during this process. When done, shut the car off, lower the vehicle, remove the funnel and install the cap and unpinch the reservoir hose. If you still have issues after this, or, if when you start the engine the coolant blows out of the funnel, then I would do a cylinder leakdown test to check for a blown head gasket.
Old 11-25-2016, 03:37 PM
2002 Sentra
2008 Sentra

Thanks, I'll research & find where to purchase the funnel and give it a go
Old 11-28-2016, 05:10 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Most auto parts stores will carry it, along with many online sites.

Tags
backs, coolant, empties, overflow, sentra, tank, top