Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Blower Motor (Loose Connection?) (2006 Nissan Sentra) Forums > > Blower Motor (Loose Connection?) (2006 Nissan Sentra) Blower Motor (Loose Connection?) (2006 Nissan Sentra)
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 06-21-2016, 08:11 PM
Enthusiast
2006 Sentra

Default Blower Motor (Loose Connection)(Pictures)(2006 Nissan Sentra)

Hey Guys!

On this one, I feel I am soclose, yet maybe still far...

So, on my 2006 Sentra, my 4 year-old blower motor began going in and out intermittently about a year ago. I would tap it with a hammer and bring it back to life.

The past few days? It went completely out. No amount of hammer tapping (read:banging) stirred it.

So, I took the blower motor down from its mounted position and jostled the wires. Nothing.

Then, I found that when I pushed the seated wiring harness against one side, the fan came back to life...and stayed alive for as long as I applied pressure to that one side.

My question is, cause I don't know spit or shine about wiring and electrical components, what am I looking to replace here? Obviously, something is failing to maintain contact, but is it the wiring plug itself (which plugs into the blower motor, or is it the connectors on the blower motor itself.

I am going to try and upload a picture of the blower motor to demonstrate how I am replicating the fix.

Thanks, guys!

ETA:

Okay, some pictures..

First is the blower motor.

The second picture is the wiring harness plugged into the blower motor. The side of the white plastic wiring harness closest to/showing to the the viewer in the picture? When I apply pressure against it, the fan will come on and stay on, as long as I push against that side you see...as I show in the third picture.

Last edited by Burnt Waffle; 06-22-2016 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Added Pictures
Old 06-22-2016, 03:52 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

It's probably an internal open within the motor, but, try tightening the terminals inside the plug using an appropriate tool (a big pin or small, flat blade screwdriver might work) so they'll grip the terminal blades of the motor connector better and see if it changes. If it doesn't, then try wiggling the wires near the connector with it plugged in while holding the harness connector in place and see if that has any affect (to check for an intermittent wire break at the connector). If neither of those tests show anything, then I would get another blower motor.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:15 PM
Enthusiast
2006 Sentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj999smj View Post
It's probably an internal open within the motor, but, try tightening the terminals inside the plug using an appropriate tool (a big pin or small, flat blade screwdriver might work) so they'll grip the terminal blades of the motor connector better and see if it changes. If it doesn't, then try wiggling the wires near the connector with it plugged in while holding the harness connector in place and see if that has any affect (to check for an intermittent wire break at the connector). If neither of those tests show anything, then I would get another blower motor.
Thanks for the reply!

Well, I went out today and could no longer get the blower motor to come on, at all. Not by pushing against the connector (as shown above), nor by wiggling the loose wires at any and all ends.

I called around to see how much a new connector (the female end which plugs the wire harness into the blower motor) would be. Of course, it's a dealership part.

I was talking to one of the service reps at my favorite local auto parts store and he said something to the effect that the blower motor probably has been going bad, and all the starting and stopping off it has put extra stress on the connections. The theory being that pushing on the side of the connector probably got the last bit of contact it could to get it going, but that even that trick has run its course.

If that's the case, I almost rue that the connector gave me a pointless lead to waste time on, avoiding the obvious fix I knew all along.

At any rate, I bit the bullet and ordered a new aftermarket blower motor.

If I plug it in and it doesn't fire up, you'll hear a Homer-style curse coming from NC.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:18 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Well, another test you could do is connect a meter or 12v test light to the terminals of the connector and wiggle the wires to see if you lose power. If you don't, you'll know for sure that it's the motor, which it probably is.

Tags
2006, blower, connection, loose, motor, nissan, sentra