Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Very unusual - help please Forums > > Very unusual - help please Very unusual - help please
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 04-15-2016, 03:23 AM
2010 Sentra

Default Very unusual - help please

Hello. I installed a new pioneer head unit into my 2010 Sentra a couple of weeks ago. No problems. I recently decided to add an amp and sub to the car and after disconnecting the negative battery terminal, proceeded to run all required wires.

After that was done (a couple of hours) I reconnected the battery WITHOUT any of the new wiring hooked up to anything except I added a remote wire and Metra NI-12 antenna adapter. I connected the blue wire from the adapter along with the remote wire for the amp (not even out of the box yet) to the wires from the head unit and the car for 12V ACC. I turned the key and deck lit up but reception was horrible. I moved it a bit and it turned off. I disco'd negative terminal and checked connections again. Everything fine. I reconnected deck lit up then turned off. Instrument cluster lights slowly faded to dark yet odometer reading faintly visible. I did not move the ground wire from where it was when the deck worked. Since then, the instrument cluster lights ONLY light up when speedometer is >0! Deck will not turn on at all.

All fuses are fine no obvious damage smoke smell etc. The eerie thing is cluster lights on only when car is moving. No other issues with other lights etc. Check engine light came on and occasionally gave five flashes which according to research is vehicle speed sensor.

I'm completely stumped! Any ideas are GREATLY appreciated! Also, is there a way to test the head unit to see if it's fried?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Sentraprob; 04-15-2016 at 03:26 AM.
Old 04-16-2016, 02:58 AM
2015 Rogue

sounds like you may have connected an incorrect wire. There is a vehicle speed sensor wire in the radio connector. Recheck your connections.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 04-16-2016, 03:22 AM
2010 Sentra

Hi mpe. Thanks for the reply. I removed and recapped all connections for the speakers leaving only 12v acc 12v constant and gnd connected. No change to cluster and no power to head unit. My head units harness does not have a connection for vss. I see your logic though. Any chance something further up the line was damaged?
Old 04-16-2016, 04:15 PM
2015 Rogue

Is the blue wire from the antenna adapter connected to the blue/white wire for the radio ?
I'm assuming you also used metra 70-7552 for the radio. Also do you have the orange wire connected to anything?
Old 04-16-2016, 10:59 PM
2010 Sentra

It's a long story but to answer your first question, no. Install was right to car harness. It worked fine until it was re-removed to hookup external amp, etc. At that point blue/white for antenna was hooked up and nothing to orange wire. It's looking like an audio shop after the weekend. Thanks for your time.

Tags
unusual