Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
ignition timing way off but runs good Forums > > ignition timing way off but runs good ignition timing way off but runs good
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 09-05-2015, 12:40 PM
1998 Sentra
2001 Sentra

Default ignition timing way off but runs good

Hello. I will start by saying thanks for all the great information I have gotten from this forum previously.

I went to check the ignition timing on my 1.6L 1998 sentra after replacing spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor. I have never checked the timing on this engine before, but it was running good.

I followed directions in the Haynes manual, and I consulted the FSM as well: I made a paint mark on the crank pulley where 8deg BTDC should be (so between the third and fourth groove in the pulley), connected the timing light to the #1 spark plug wire (the cylinder all the way on the left when looking from the front of the car) and the timing mark in the timing light appeared way out to the left from the pointer, it looks like the pointer would have been pointing around 30 to 40 degrees BTDC according to the grooves on the pulley.

I turned the distributor counter clockwise until the paint mark i made lined up with the pointer but the car ran poor. . . drove down the street and it had no power.

So I put it back the way it was and am grateful the car is running good, but curious as to why I got such a weird timing measurement. Any ideas?

Thanks
Joe

I will say that I changed the upper timing chain tensioner a few months ago and it was worn well through the plastic and into the metal, but the car has run well since I bought it 8 months ago and I have put about 12k miles on it since then.

Tags
good, ignition, runs, timing