Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Help for 2006 SER SpecV Forums > > Help for 2006 SER SpecV Help for 2006 SER SpecV
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 01-09-2014, 08:39 AM
2005 Sentra SE-R

Default Help for 2006 SER SpecV

I recently acquired a 2005 SER Spec V and the fuel economy has been dropping dramatically. Was getting 25-28 MPG with mixed use driving. Now with severe winter weather it has been dropping steadily. Now averaging only 17 MPG. What is going on? Sure I warm the car up a bit before driving but that shouldn't account for such a sharp drop over a short time (2 weeks). No codes are being shown. Is it time for plugs and wires? Car has approx 150K miles and date of last tune up by previous owner is unknown. No it is not like I'm driving it like I stole it. Very conservative driving due to snow covered roads
Old 01-09-2014, 11:02 AM
G47

it is good idea to replace spark plugs
clean the mass air flow sensor with mass air flow sensor cleaner
clean the throttle body and do an idle air relearn

2002-2011 Nissan Sentra Idle Air Volume Learning Procedure | Nissanhelp.com

2005 nissan sentra has ignition coil do you have to replace it.
I would also do an engine oil flush also, intake flush to decarb the intake manifold

Last edited by G47; 01-09-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:00 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

1. For starter, the winter blend fuel won't get you as far as the summer blend.
2. You should get going on the road within 1 min. after a cold start. By default, the air fuel mixture is richer on cold start. So keeping on idle waiting to warm up the engine would be wasting gas. If your car is equipped with Cylinder-Heater (aka engine block heater) you might want to take advantage of it.
3. Air Fuel Ratio Sensor - since you just got the car and you have no record it has been replaced. This sensor should be replaced at 100k miles. The sensor can account for as much as 40% of your MPG.
4. As already mentioned, change you motor oil with factory recommended viscosity. I also suggest to use synthetic for now as it has a better cleaning detergent. Specially during severe low temp., engine motor oil can rub you of that precious MPG.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:28 AM
2005 Sentra SE-R

Thanks guys, i will follow your suggestions. I doubt if air/fuel ratio sensor was changed at 100K and basic tune up is needed

Tags
2006, ser, specv