Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
No fire in Cyl 2 Forums > > No fire in Cyl 2 No fire in Cyl 2
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 09-15-2013, 12:39 PM
2001 Sentra

Default No fire in Cyl 2

Hi everyone....

bought a 2001 Sentra from a ex-friend. great deal so I thought. 40k miles on it, old lady driven, new everything. the woman was nervous and neurotic. anyway Ill start from the beginning. right before I bought the car my friends aunt brought it in for service. they replaced her valve cover. Little did they know this car has two gaskets on the valve cover, one on the perimeter and a really tiny one in the center (which they forgot to install). Because of this the car was sucking in motor oil through the port, through the pcv valve and out my exhaust. Ended up having to buy a new front cat and two bottom o2 sensors.... also an EGR valve. lol anyway car drove pretty good after that until a few months later I had a misfire in cyl 4... then on cyl 2 then finally the ecm completely failed. I later found out the MY computer is a Q3 or 3Q or whatever and NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO one has ever heard of it. This means I would have to purchase a NEW from the dealer. I found a guy to fix mine. got that done and it worked great for 3 months then cyl2 went out again. the repair was under warranty and the tried fixing it again, got it back and it was completely dead. they somehow found another Q3 ecm, other than that is there something else to look out for like cam or crank sensors? also now that their sending me a new ecm do I have to get it paired to my car or would it be just a straight install?

thanks for any input...

John
Old 09-15-2013, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
also now that their sending me a new ecm do I have to get it paired to my car or would it be just a straight install?
Yes, you need to reprogram the new ECM to recognize the key.

What part of the ECM failed? no signal to the injector or ignition coils? If there was no signal to the ignition coils, then one of the coils could be damaging the ECM.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:38 PM
2001 Sentra

Yes no spark.. I measured the voltage going to the coil cyl 1, 3, 4 got about 3-4 volts and cyl 2 only got .5-1 volts. I checked all the ground wires and lead wires. They all seemed intact.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:40 PM
2001 Sentra

As for reprograming the ecu.. how is that done??
Old 09-16-2013, 01:25 AM
2001 Sentra

Does that need to be done at the dealer?

Tags
cyl, cyl2, ecm, fire, misfire