Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2002 Nissan Sentra GXE stuttering on start Forums > > 2002 Nissan Sentra GXE stuttering on start 2002 Nissan Sentra GXE stuttering on start
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 07-29-2013, 10:01 AM
2002 Sentra

Default 2002 Nissan Sentra GXE stuttering on start

My 2002 Nissan Sentra GXE 1.8L has been having issues while starting up recently. It stutters on the start up for a few seconds, some times about 10-15 seconds, but then it evens out and runs fine. However, I hadn't driven the car in about a week and I tried to start it and it wouldn't fire at all. It stuttered slightly to begin with but after that it wouldn't stutter at all.

I have checked the spark plugs, I actually replaced them about 2 months ago. They had fuel on their tips and they looked fine. The only thing I can think of is I have not changed the fuel filter since I bought the car about 5 years ago and it is just not getting enough to fire.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 07-29-2013, 10:04 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

If it wasn't getting enough fuel to fire, you wouldn't see fuel on the tips of the spark plugs. Any chance that it wasn't fuel, but engine coolant? These engines are well know for head gasket failures. If you are sure it's fuel and not coolant, you might have one or more fuel injectors leaking down when you shut if off. A fuel pressure leakdown test would be needed to confirm this. It would be a good idea to check the fuel pressure, anyway, to confirm that it is in spec. As far as the fuel filter, I could be wrong, but there may not be a fuel filter to service. Later model Nissans have an in-tank fuel filter that is part of the fuel pump module, eliminating the need for filter replacement as part of "preventative maintenance."
Old 08-22-2013, 07:40 AM
2001 Sentra
1998 Altima Sedan

I have a 2001 Sentra XE and it exhibits the exact same behavior. My investigations lead me to believe it is the mass air flow sensor that is going bad. You can either clean it (can costs about nine bucks) or replace it (prices range from 50-240). It's a pretty accessible part and easy to clean or replace.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:44 PM
Freed Gerdes

I have a 2003 Sentra that is showing signs of a blown head gasket, mostly from coolant running down the inside fender well below the overflow tank vent. I tried to do a compression test, but the shop my son took it to first crossthreaded every spark plug, and the compression tester connection will not seat. Initial results showed about 110 lbs on every cylinder... anyway, I am in the process of replacing the head gasket, and I have arrived at the MAF sensor, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the electrical plug to disconnect. What is the trick for this one?
As to the head gasket, it appears that the head can be lifted off with the intake manifold and the water pump still attached. Is this possible/normal procedure? A shop manual would help here, but don't have one.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:38 PM
Freed Gerdes

Since no one commented on my prior plight, here is the update: car showed same symptoms described above: hard to start, stuttering idle and then dies, sometimes will not start at all. Those problems are what got it taken to a local mechanic (chain) shop. They could not get it to run, botched the spark plug threads with their compression tester, then told us the head gasket was blown. I disconnected the battery for 24 hours, then reconnected and started the engine. did not replace head gasket. Engine runs fine, but now the tachometer and temp gauge are cutting off sporadically (engine performance not affected). And A/C compressor will not engage.

Tags
2002, gxe, nissan, sentra, start, stuttering