Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Automatic Transmission Fluid Recommendation Forums > > Automatic Transmission Fluid Recommendation Automatic Transmission Fluid Recommendation
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 07-03-2013, 10:37 AM
Enthusiast
2001 Maxima
2005 Sentra

Default Automatic Transmission Fluid Recommendation

Have a 2001 Maxima and 2005 Sentra, each with 87K miles. I'm going to change the automatic transmission fluid. Does anyone have any recommendations on brand or type?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

As long the fluid is Dexron III you can use almost any brand. I have used Mobil and Valvoline and both work well, no need to buy OEM fluid from the dealer.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:49 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

You don't need to buy genuine Nissan ATF, but you should only use Dexron III/Mercon to top off the fluid if necessary, not as a service replacement. Dexron III/Mercon has been found to cause sticking of the valves in the valve body. The original factory fill is Nissan Type "D" ATF, which is the same as the original Dexron formula. Dexron and Dexron II have a thinner viscosity than Dexron III/Mercon. So, when choosing an ATF other than genuine Nissan Type "D," it is best to pick one that is "recommended" for use in Dexron II applications. Most synthetics are a good alternative, including Valvoline Maxlife ATF, Castrol Multi-import ATF and Amsoil ATF, to name a few.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:11 PM
Enthusiast
2001 Maxima
2005 Sentra

Default ATF Conditioner

I was buying the ATF fluid and saw some Lucas ATF conditioner. Sounded like a good idea. Says it reconditions seals, etc.

Any issues with adding Lucas ATF conditioner when I change the ATF?
Old 07-11-2013, 08:56 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Unless the transmission is exhibiting shifting issues, the seals should be just fine. I wouldn't install any additives.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:11 PM
Enthusiast
2001 Maxima
2005 Sentra

Changed my fluid over the weekend. 10 quart capacity - only got 3.5 quarts out when draining. I'm going to run it a week and do it again. Figuring the mix ration of 3:1, that will give me another 2-3 fresh quarts. Probably won't go beyond that. I did NOT put the additive in as the replacement fluid said it conditioned seals, etc.

I used Valvoline Synthetic.

No issues so far and VERY easy.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:13 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

You'll never get all of the fluid changed out, and that's okay. Best way to replace the majority of the fluid is with an ATF fluid exchanger, which "T's" between the radiator cooler outlet and the cooler hose. Inside the exchanger is a tank with a bladder. You install about a case of new ATF into the machine. As the fluid exits the cooler into the tank, it pushes against the bladder and forces the clean fluid into the cooler hose, where it returns to the transmission. Even that method does get 100% of the old fluid changed out, but it does a good job of getting most of it.
Old 10-05-2019, 05:36 AM
2004 Quest
2001 Altima

Hello SMJ,
Your answers are of immeasurable help to all those Nissan owners, myself included indicating alternate fluids that can be used to change or flush one’s automatic transmission. There are mixed messages about not using Nissan Fluids, from damaging the transmission to destroying seals and gaskets. But you have set my mind at ease and I will proceed to change mine which is showing a darkish, not so red color. Thank you ever so much.

Tags
automatic, fluid, recommendation, transmission