Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
antenna advice needed Forums > > antenna advice needed antenna advice needed
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 05-28-2013, 04:42 PM
2006 Sentra

Default antenna advice needed

OK, here's the situation. Sentra 2006 had it's telescoping antenna tube pulled out by some vandals. What's left is a hole -- 0.1825 diam. See image, which I think I've attached. What are my options?

I don't want to replace the whole shebang if I don't have to. The whole shebang is called, I think, an "antenna" (which includes the chassis mounting fixture). The telescoping tube that I want to replace is, I think, called the "antenna mast". But when I look up antenna masts, they often have wires coming out of them. I just want a telescoping metal tube I can jam, or screw into that hole! Can I do that? Do I have to connect up a wire?

I don't know what's in the hole. Is it threaded or clear?

The big slot on the top of the fixture is inviting me to unscrew it, but I can't get it loose.

Help!
Attached Thumbnails
antenna advice needed-p5280002-jpg  
Old 05-28-2013, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

You need to buy the "Antenna Rod" or antenna mast.

Part number: 28215-5M000
Price: $43

Once you have the antenna rod, you unscrew the nut and insert the plastic wire into the hole and the motor inside the antenna will grab and pull in the antenna rod.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:25 AM
2006 Sentra

Well, this isn't a motorized antenna.

I find it really hard to believe that a telescoping version of a clothes hanger antenna is going to cost that much. Complete antenna fixtures cost less than that.

What I'm looking for is an "antenna rod" that I just push into the hole to replace the one that got pulled out. The question is if it is any more complicated than that.

Not sure what "nut" you're referring to. You mean the thing with the slot on top? As I said, I can't seem to remove it. Is it, in fact, removable?
Old 05-29-2013, 01:05 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2001 Pathfinder
2001 Sentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lester View Post
Well, this isn't a motorized antenna.

I find it really hard to believe that a telescoping version of a clothes hanger antenna is going to cost that much. Complete antenna fixtures cost less than that.

What I'm looking for is an "antenna rod" that I just push into the hole to replace the one that got pulled out. The question is if it is any more complicated than that.

Not sure what "nut" you're referring to. You mean the thing with the slot on top? As I said, I can't seem to remove it. Is it, in fact, removable?
You can buy antennas for $10 or so at any big box store. Yes the metal thing with the slot on the top is a nut. unscrew with a big bladed screw driver or a pair of channellocks if you don't mind marirng the finish.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:12 PM
2006 Sentra

Thanks. That helps. So the way it works is I just buy a telescoping antenna with the right diameter to slide in the hole (after loosening the nut), and those telescoping antenna rods are cheap and easily available? I guess I was wondering whether a wire needed to be connected, but if the strategy is the same as for a clothes hanger antenna, I guess a wire hookup isn't needed.

That nut is really locked tight. Maybe I'll soak it in some lubricant before trying it again.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:03 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2001 Pathfinder
2001 Sentra

Yes, soak it with some penetrating oil. The new antenna shaft should come with adapters to fit your old one. Funny you should ask, here's a good video for reference.

How To Repair A Broken Car Antenna -EricTheCarGuy - YouTube
Old 05-30-2013, 07:27 AM
2006 Sentra

Nice. Many thanks. That video is excellent, though of course I'd rather not have to takeout the whole assembly. I just want to shove a mast in that hole.

Yes, penetrating oil is on that nut right now. I assume when I've loosened it, it'll be more obvious what's going on inside. Looks like there is supposed to be a thread in there. But aaack, Eric had to rethread the hole??? That's a PIA.

That special "nut loosening tool" would be nice to have. Looks like Eric was having the same problem I am! But it's not clear that he really had to take off that nut!
Old 06-09-2013, 09:22 AM
2006 Sentra

OK, well that was easy. $15 Raptor mast antenna. Didn't need to unscrew that tight nut anyway. I should have figured, as the vandal who took the mast sure didn't unscrew it.

Of some value is that the thread, down inside, is 10-32. So before you go buy a new mast that'll fit that thread, make sure the thread is good.

Tags
advice, antenna, needed