Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Knock Sensor Location 99 Sentra 2.0L Forums > > Knock Sensor Location 99 Sentra 2.0L Knock Sensor Location 99 Sentra 2.0L
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 04-08-2013, 06:24 AM
1999 Sentra

Default Knock Sensor Location 99 Sentra 2.0L

My daughter has a 1999 Nissan Sentra with the 2.0L. The car has started to jerk during acceleration and the code shows it's the knock sensor. Question is, where is that located on her 2.0? Thanks, Willie
Old 04-08-2013, 02:29 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

To see the knock sensor, you will need to get under the vehicle and look up the back side of the engine. It will be bolted on the engine block, just under the intake manifold. Bad knock sensors usually don't cause your vehicle to "jerk." They simple signal the ECM when it senses engine knock to the ECM can retard the ignition timing slightly to reduce engine damage. A "jerking" sensation is often caused by a misfire or even bad engine mounts. The knock sensor would make an engine misfire more likely. Not have a trouble code makes it more difficult. I would pull the coils and make sure there is no oil leaking past the spark plug tube seals into the well. You should also check the spark plugs' condition. A failing ignition coil could also be a culprit. In other words, I would do some investigation before spending money on the knock sensor, which may not be the problem.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:46 AM
1999 Sentra

The only engine code she has says it's the knock sensor. There are no misfire codes in any of the cylinders to indicate a bad coil. I already replaced the spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor with no change in performance.

So the knock sensor is on the backside of the engine block next to the firewall? Can you reach it from the bottom without having to remove anything?
Old 04-09-2013, 02:09 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjn7f0 View Post
The car has started to jerk during acceleration and the code shows it's the knock sensor. Question is, where is that located on her 2.0? Thanks, Willie
Willie - I agree with "smj999smj" the knock sensor code P0325 will not cause the car to jerk during acceleration. A misfire, pre-detonation are some of the causes that trigger the code. Its possible though the sensor has failed.
In my case, the jerking was felt the engine is rushing toward the firewall everytime I accelerate. I was so sure it was the rear engine mount but it turned out it was the passenger side engine mount. You can inspect it by inserting a large and long screw driver between the mount and bracket and sort of pry it out.

Knock Sensor Replacement: Raise and remove passenger side wheel. Follow procedures when working under the car. Lying on your back and looking up just right center of the engine below the IM you will see the KS. If your car is equipped with vacuum tank (cannister), you may need to loosen it and set aside to have a clear view. You need a 10mm socket to loosen the mounting bolt. Take note of the orientation as you need to install the new KS in much the same angle. Just snug tight and you're done. See pic below to help you identify it.
Attached Thumbnails
Knock Sensor Location 99 Sentra 2.0L-knock-sensor-sentra-jpg  
Old 04-10-2013, 05:37 AM
1999 Sentra

Thanks for all the info. I'll check the engine mounts and also pull the coils to make sure I don't have oil leaking around the spark plug tube seals. And if it's not that I'll replace the Knock Sensor.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:09 PM
1999 Sentra

bjn7fo
just wondering if you found out it was definitely the knock sensor or what it was, having similar problem and place I took to have code checked stated it was the knock sensor

thanks
Old 06-19-2013, 06:18 AM
1999 Sentra

bucapr69
I replaced the knock sensor but that wasn't the problem. Check the air intake hose from the air filter to the manifold. If there are any cracks/leaks that could be your problem. That's what it was for me.

Tags
20l, knock, location, sensor, sentra