Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Coolant in cylinder Forums > > Coolant in cylinder Coolant in cylinder
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 02-24-2013, 05:35 AM
2001 Sentra

Default Coolant in cylinder

My 2001 Nissan Sentra started having problems with the heat going out and the temp guage showing an increase, although not to the overheat level. I took it to a mechanic who ran a test ( I think it was the compression test) which showed no problems. He thought it might be air in the system, so he flushed it and refilled. The heater started working again and no increase in temperature for about a month, when it all happened again. This time the antifreeze was low when I checked it, so I added some and it seemed to take care of the problem, but I decided to do more checking. I pulled the plugs and found antifreeze in the #2 cylinder. There was about an 1/8 to a 1/4 inch of it sitting on top of the piston. I wicked it out and took it to another mechanic telling him what had happened and what I'd found. He put it on the machine and ran the engine and said the pressure remained even the whole time. I think it's a head gasket or warped head, but he doesn't want to replace the head gasket because he says his equipment doesn't show that to be the issue yet and he can't say for sure what's wrong. There's no obvious contamination in the oil. What do you all think?
Old 02-24-2013, 07:00 AM
2002 Xterra

The 2001 to 2004 Sentra's with the 1.8L were comman at my Dealership. Usually between cyl 2&3 or 3&4. Most times replacing the headgasket and headbolts cured the probem. Only once did i have an issue with the Block being the problem, and having to put a complete motor in it.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:54 AM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Sentra
2003 Sentra
2002 Sentra GXE

classic head gasket failure. fix it now before it overheats and ruins something.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

I agree with [MENTION=10935]JudoJohn[/MENTION] and [MENTION=187446]Earl Tripodi[/MENTION]. Unfortunately it's a very common problem with the Sentra.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:35 PM
2001 Sentra

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like we'll be taking it back in tomorrow morning.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:08 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

I agree with all the guys above, it is a head gasket issue. Keep in mind coolant pressure is highest a few minutes after engine shutdown. That's probably when coolant leaks into the cylinder. No misfire yet so scan tool don't show anything. And no visible sign motor oil and coolant have mixed. But if you send for engine oil analysis I am 100% certain oil and coolant have mixed.

Don't forget after installing a new hg to change your motor oil. If you like you can use a thinner oil like 0w-20 as flushing oil. Take your car for a spin 10-15 min., drain the oil then fill with your regular recommended oil grade.

Tags
coolant, cylinder