Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Just Bought a 1994 Sentra - Service Advice Forums > > Just Bought a 1994 Sentra - Service Advice Just Bought a 1994 Sentra - Service Advice
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 12-13-2012, 05:11 PM
1994 Sentra

Default Just Bought a 1994 Sentra - Service Advice

Hello all! Noob here.

I just picked up a 1994 Sentra with 113,000 miles on it. It has an automatic tranny and the 1.6 engine. Got it for $900. It will be driven by my son to and from work and school.

I'm going to go over it this weekend and see what kind of TLC it needs.

One thing that does not work is the passenger side shoulder harness. From browsing here, I learned this should be covered under a lifetime warranty - is that correct?

It has power windows - all work, but not perfectly - can't complain for the price. I'm sure I'll have to replace the motor's eventually.

Slightly rough idle at stops in drive, but otherwise runs smooth and accelerates well.

What would you Sentra experts recommend maintenance wise upon acquiring and older vehicle like this one? Are there any "heads-up" issues I need to know?

Timing chain/belt, etc.?

Any advice would be appreciated. I want to make sure this vehicle is as safe and dependable as possible.

Thanks!!

John
Old 12-14-2012, 10:30 AM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Sentra
2003 Sentra
2002 Sentra GXE

I would replace plugs, air filter, change oil for starters. check the condition of the radiator and heater hoses. if they look old- or either really soft or hard, it's best to replace and also replace the coolant at the same time. otherwise, you risk one blowing on you. it will happen at least convient time, trust me! look at the plug wires and the distributor cap, and replace if needed. I would also look at the trans. fluid. if it's brownish and has a burnt smell, best to get it flushed or changed.
check the brakes. if you need to replace pads or shoes, might as well bleed them while you're at it. also, check condition of belts--replace if in doubt.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:11 PM
1994 Sentra

Thanks JJ!!

I got the coolant flushed, tranny flushed, power steering flushed, and changed fuel filter, air filter and oil filter today. Brakes looked good - but I'll service them and change out the barake fluid in the nesxt few weeks anyway. Will check the rest tomorrow.

Do you know the life span of the timing chain/belt? I know some models of vehicles have serious issues with timing belts. I'm going through the service manuals provided here right now - that is awesome that the forum provides that.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:02 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Sentra
2003 Sentra
2002 Sentra GXE

i think your engine has a chain. should be good for the life of the engine.

Tags
1994, advice, bought, sentra, service