Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Misfire (P0301) after crankshaft position sensor replacement Forums > > Misfire (P0301) after crankshaft position sensor replacement Misfire (P0301) after crankshaft position sensor replacement
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 07-31-2012, 10:34 AM
2003 Sentra

Default Misfire (P0301) after crankshaft position sensor replacement

I was getting a P0335 (crankshaft position sensor malfunction), so I replaced it (on a 2003 Sentra SpecV - 2.5L). The problem was intermittent before, but it seemed to be fine after a test drive, and I haven't seen that code since. Now, as I was driving to work, I started to get a rough idle that continued while driving. I got a P0301 (misfire on cylinder #1), and I once also got a misfire on multiple cylinders (I forget the code - probably P0300). Again, this is intermittent... after a while, the roughness will disappear, and come back.

Could replacing the sensor somehow have caused the misfires? Is it possible the sensor wasn't seated properly? I couldn't get a good look at it to make sure it was fully inserted. I figured tightening the bolt should do the job.

What should be my next step?
Old 07-31-2012, 10:55 AM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Sentra
2003 Sentra
2002 Sentra GXE

i don't think the sensor caused the misfires. the usual culprit in P301 is a bad or intermittent coil pack. maybe the other ones are starting to go, also. if th sensor wasn't installed properly, it most likely would not start at all.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:27 AM
2003 Sentra

I'll try swapping around the coil packs to see if the misfire moves around.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:37 PM
Master Enthusiast

2004 sentra

There was a recall for your car about this code! the butterfly screw come out of the intake manifold and go into the engine.
It need to be taken out and glue back! OR YOU WILL NEED A NEW ENGIN!
Old 08-01-2012, 05:11 AM
2003 Sentra

What was the recall about the butterfly screw? I called the dealer about a week ago and they said there was no open recall on my car.

Anyway, I swapped coils and the misfire moved. I'll pick up a new one later today.

EDIT: I looked up the butterfly screw problem. I'll open up the intake manifold and check. Luckily I don't think that was the problem this time, since the misfire followed the coil swap.

Last edited by MrDoo; 08-01-2012 at 06:25 AM.

Tags
crankshaft, misfire, p0301, position, replacement, sensor