Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2005 Sentra 1.8S- Belt replacement HELP!!!!!!!! Forums > > 2005 Sentra 1.8S- Belt replacement HELP!!!!!!!! 2005 Sentra 1.8S- Belt replacement HELP!!!!!!!!
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 01-18-2012, 08:00 AM
2005 Sentra

Default 2005 Sentra 1.8S- Belt replacement HELP!!!!!!!!

Hello... I need help!!!!! I live in a rural area away from civilization and all I got is this internet to fix my car. I NEED HELP!!!!! I was going to work and when I turned on my car the power steering Belt snapped broken. Horrible noise! Now I am stranded in the middle of nowhere. My dad already had the parts purchased for replacement but he is overseas and I can't wait till the summer for him to fix my car.

I already went to youtube and look at the videos. But honestly, I did everything they showed in the video... I loosened two bolts one on the right and one on the left... but now I am stuck... don't know what else to do and there is such a tiny difference to get the belt on. Just need a tiny space to get into place. WHAT DO I DO NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any help is HIGHLY appreciated. It is 1.8 engine. THANKYOU!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-18-2012, 09:39 AM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Check this out:

Old 01-18-2012, 10:00 AM
2005 Sentra

Default Thank you!

That is the exact diagram that I have been using. I did loose the 12mm bolt on the right. Also, loosened the Idler pulley lock nut. But now I am lost...

What is the next step? the 8mm head under the compressor?
Old 01-18-2012, 05:38 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Sentra
2003 Sentra
2002 Sentra GXE

you shouldn't have to mess with the compressor. it should be on top of the compressor.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:13 AM
2005 Sentra

I loosened that one also, but do I have to PULL anything? The other belt is out as well (I will replace it just in case). That one was easy to take out, but still I need to put back the power steering belt and I don't know how. I need as many details as possible. Thank you!
Old 01-19-2012, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Steps:

- Loose the 2 locking nuts (one locking nut on the power steering pump and the other one on the idler pulley)
- Loose the adjusting bolt. When you turn the adjusting bolts, the belts will start getting loose. Turn the adjusting bolt until your are able to remove the belts.
- Replaced belts.
- Tight belts with adjusting bolts.
- Tight locking nuts.

When you are turning the adjusting bolts on the idler pulley, the pulley should start moving up. If it doesn't, then the locking nut is not loose enough.

When you are turning the adjusting bolt on the the power steering, the power steering pump should move towards the engine t o loose the belt. If the pump is not moving (just the adjusting bolt) then after loosing the adjust bolt, pull the drive belt to get it loose.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:36 AM
2006 Sentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanTech View Post
Steps:

- Loose the 2 locking nuts (one locking nut on the power steering pump and the other one on the idler pulley)
- Loose the adjusting bolt. When you turn the adjusting bolts, the belts will start getting loose. Turn the adjusting bolt until your are able to remove the belts.
- Replaced belts.
- Tight belts with adjusting bolts.
- Tight locking nuts.

When you are turning the adjusting bolts on the idler pulley, the pulley should start moving up. If it doesn't, then the locking nut is not loose enough.

When you are turning the adjusting bolt on the the power steering, the power steering pump should move towards the engine t o loose the belt. If the pump is not moving (just the adjusting bolt) then after loosing the adjust bolt, pull the drive belt to get it loose.
I have a 2006 Sentra 1.8S with AC, do i follow the same procedures for replacement. please help me
Old 02-09-2012, 06:55 AM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Sentra
2003 Sentra
2002 Sentra GXE

Dude- what part of look in the service manual do you not understand?

Click on the Knowledgebase tab, then go to Service manuals, then Sentra and year.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:38 PM
Master Enthusiast

2004 sentra

2003 to 2006 are all same on that model!!!!
Old 09-24-2013, 07:41 AM
2006 Sentra

Default 2006 Sentra 1.8S- Belt replacement HELP!!!!!!!!

I am changing my drive belts for 2006 Sentra 1.8S. Released the lock nut on power steering and adjusting bolt, but I was not able to remove the belt. The power steering pulley does not move at all. Anyone knows why and how to remove the belt?

Thanks
Old 02-14-2014, 08:34 AM
2004 Sentra

just did this yesterday.. had a hard time moving the ps pump pulley after following everything here. then i figured out that i need to loosen a 14mm nut bolt at the back of the PS pump in order to move it.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:47 AM
2004 Sentra

Default 2004 Nissan sentra 1.8s Belt replacement

i just did my belts on a 2004 nissan sentra 1.8s and had a hard time even after following everything here..its an easy job if i only knew that i need to loosen a 14mm nut bolt at the back of PS pump in order to easily move the belt on the PSpump pulley see the picture....hope this helps. thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
2005 Sentra 1.8S- Belt replacement HELP!!!!!!!!-ps-jpg  
Old 02-14-2014, 08:50 AM
2004 Sentra

Default 2004 Nissan sentra 1.8s Belt replacement

i just did my belts on a 2004 nissan sentra 1.8s and had a hard time even after following everything here..its an easy job if i only knew that i need to loosen a 14mm nut bolt at the back of PS pump in order to easily move the belt on the PSpump pulley see the picture....hope this helps. thanks.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:46 PM
Enthusiast
2004 Sentra

Quote:
I just swapped my serpentine today. It's a 12mm on the pump and tension bolt for the power steering/pump belt and a 14mm on the pulley and an 8mm bolt on the pulley tension bolt.

Not a tough job if you've got a smaller ratchet to fit in those tight spots. You'll need a deeper socket for the bolt holding the pump in place.

Tags
18s, 2005, belt, replacement, sentra