Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Error code P1138 Swirl Control Valve Forums > > Error code P1138 Swirl Control Valve Error code P1138 Swirl Control Valve
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 02-16-2007, 04:40 AM
rad

Default Error code P1138 Swirl Control Valve

My 2004 Sentra 1.8s has an error code of P1138 Swirl Control valve. My local dealers parts dept has no idea what Im talking about and will only refer me to there service dept. Any recomendations as to location of valve and repair would be great. The only reference I could find on this site was a reference to a P1130 code close but not the same thing. Thanks

Last edited by rad; 02-16-2007 at 04:42 AM. Reason: left out info
Old 02-16-2007, 03:30 PM
2015 Rogue

swirl control is the valve in the variable intake that changes the air flow in the intake. I have seen bad ecms for this problem and also bad solenoids.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:16 AM
rad

Is it something easily diagnosed and repaired or do you reccomend going to a dealer?
Old 02-17-2007, 07:37 AM
2015 Rogue

Probably better off going to the dealer.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:14 PM
rad

thank you for the help
Old 08-20-2008, 03:43 PM
jsdunaway

Smile Code 1138 for Sentra

I had a code 1138 come up because I had an engine light on. The code indicated a Swirl Control Valve. My mechanic has dealer information on the code. He told me that the Swirl Control Valve goes off when coolent levels are too low for each cylindar and the proper temperature for good fuel usage. He told me to make sure the coolent is full. He reset my enging light and it did not go on again. Nissan makes sure Know one knows exactly what the "Swirl Control Valve" is and what it does and how it effects fuel usage. He pointed out to me the valve on the right of the manifold and it is fed by the coolant system. It is a replacable valve easy to work on.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:46 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

the swirl control valve just makes the the air swirl for better combustion when it mixes with the fuel and each cylinder doesnt have a certain amount of coolant, the engine has water jackets that allows for coolat to cool the block, its the same amount everywhere if its too low then u need to add coolant and that code would not pop up if the coolant is low it has another code for that. maybe he meant u need a coolant flush.

2002 Maxima GLE Silver on Black
| Berk Intake w/AEM Dryflow | Clear Sidemarker Lights w/PIAA L.E.D|PIAA L.E.D Courtesy and Licence Plate Lights|PIAA White Fogs |Fibre Customs EyeLids | 5% Limo Tint | Brembo Blanks and Hawk HPS Pads |Ebay FSTB|CATTMAN RSB| NWP VIAS Block plate and NWS Spacers| OEM Spoiler | 07 350 z rims on 235/45/18 Goodyear Eagle GT tires| Megan Racing OE-RS Catback |

in training

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT: Subscribe or Donate
Old 08-28-2008, 09:16 AM
NavyBoy01

i also had the same problem it can also be you battery make sure all you cables are good and tight
Old 12-21-2008, 10:36 AM
mannymanny

what do you mean with coolant?????
Old 03-27-2009, 10:54 AM
ricardoewens

i have the same problem., p1138 my scanner indicated turbelence control valve, sombody can help me please
Old 03-27-2009, 03:09 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardoewens View Post
i have the same problem., p1138 my scanner indicated turbelence control valve, sombody can help me please
That code is for the swirl control valve. Usually it is caused by the position sensor. Unfortunately the only way to get it is to buy the lower portion of the intake manifold.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:38 PM
ricardoewens

Thank you mpe235, but i need to know the swirl control valve, i am confuse, i did not regonize what is it, would you show me how is look like or you can tell me where can i found a picture. one more question ¿ does the idle air control valve is the same swirl control valve? thank you.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:35 AM
shayes82

Default warranty extended

I have an 02 Sentra with 130K miles and a bad swirl control valve (engine error code P1138). I just called my local dealer and they told me the warranty for this item has been extended, and they can fix it for me for free.

Definitely something to look into before you pay $$ or do the work yourself.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:02 PM
ricardoewens

¿ does the idle air control valve is the same swirl control valve? thank you.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:33 AM
mannymanny

Default P1138 code

I got the code P1138 just with 28000 milles. sometimes the check engine light dissapeared but after a couple of days a got it there again ans so on. a friend of my reset the code but after a week it appeared again. for my self I reseat a bunch of cables which are connected to two huges conectors, at the left corner where the engine is. the code dissapear automaticly but the code apeared after a hour of driving the car. what is the swrill control valve what do i have to purchase to fix the problem???

Tags
code, control, error, p1138, swirl, valve