Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2004 Sentra overheating Forums > > 2004 Sentra overheating 2004 Sentra overheating
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 07-24-2011, 07:18 PM
tsm012

Default 2004 Sentra overheating

Ok guys, recently bought a sentra and the Engine gets hot randomly. Heres what I got.

The engine will get up to operating temperature normally and stay their while I am driving for a bit (10-15 minutes) after that it will overheat. I can turn it off and wait a minute and start it again and it will jump back to the normal temperature then randomly will creep back up. There are two other symptoms though. 1, the reservoir coolant is seemingly never used. 2, after running it is often hard to restart (water in chambers? headgasket?) what do you all think?
Old 07-24-2011, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

How is the coolant level? if the level is OK, then you shouldn't be too concern about head gasket. The hard to start problem could be a different issue.

With the overheating problem, I suggest starting by servicing the coolant system and replacing the thermostat. The coolant service is part of your regular maintenance and the thermostat is a common problem.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:03 PM
tsm012

thats what I am thinking as well. I am going to take the thermostat out and run it tomorrow and see what it does. will keep the thread updated.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:31 AM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

You mentioned the "reservoire coolant" is not being used. That could only mean the coolant is not being circulated which I think could possibly be a water pump issue in addition to a possible thermostat problem.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:37 PM
Master Enthusiast

2004 sentra

Agree with Nissan tech.
Also will recommend replacing radiator cap! Check hoses and wash the outside of your radiator/.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:18 AM
tsm012

worse than my worst case scenario. It appears the block is cracked. replaced the thermostat and don't think its a headgasket.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:18 PM
tsm012

I'm at a complete loss. I have replace EVERYTHING and its still overheating. thermostat, radiator, all hoses, water pump, ENGINE, and its still reading hot.... fans are coming on. I'm starting to think that there is a small sun under my hood that will not allow the car to stay cool. Am I missing something?
Old 08-20-2011, 06:15 PM
Master Enthusiast

2004 sentra

get the air out of the system!bleeding.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:20 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

How small a sun do you think, 1/1 millionth would be approx. the size of earth. We all be toast not just your engine, lol. I appreciate your sense of humor though. I feel your frustration.

I'm also puzzled. In your post #6, you think you have a cracked engine. Is that the reason you have a new engine? If you have a new engine, why was there a need to change the water pump, and thermostat. Did you replace the WP and thermostat and then a new engine?
Old 08-21-2011, 06:39 AM
2015 Rogue

Head gaskets are very common on that engine. If you replaced the engine with a used one you could have a problem with the new engine.
ASE Master Certified.

Tags
2004, overheating, sentra