Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
1997 Sentra smoking and losing power Forums > > 1997 Sentra smoking and losing power 1997 Sentra smoking and losing power
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 07-25-2011, 03:55 AM
diosa

Default 1997 Sentra smoking and losing power

My 1997 Sentra GXE has been losing power every time I try to accelerate for quite some time now. Once the car reaches about 35 mph the car will accelerate normally but I often find that it is sluggish immediately following a stopsign or stop light. The engine will over rev but the cr will not move over 10 or 15 miles per hour. It'll also lose power while trying to climb hills exacerbating the sluggish start from any stops or reduction of speed by traffic. Additionally, when I park the car there is a bitter burning smell and sometimes there will be smoke from under the hood. Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 07-25-2011, 12:54 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

You should scan your car's computer and see what kind of trouble code will show up.

Loss of power can be caused by many things like: loss of compression, misfire in one or more cylinder, in your case a bad distributor, etc. Check engine oil to see if your car is using excessive amount of oil. Oil leaking to a hot engine may produce smoke. Take notice the color of smoke coming out. Are you losing coolant. Is car overheating. Check your transmission fluid. If TF is very low, your car is sluggish or will hardly move, lol.

Tags
1997, losing, power, sentra, smoking