Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2001 Sentra, #3 cylinder not firing Forums > > 2001 Sentra, #3 cylinder not firing 2001 Sentra, #3 cylinder not firing
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 08-17-2010, 05:08 PM
prhoades2

Default 2001 Sentra, #3 cylinder not firing

Need some advice. #3 cylinder is not firing, new coil, new plug. Voltages at coil are as follows: 13.X Volts for +, ground is good, and other wire is at.8 to1 volt. The other cylinders are the same for the +, but that third wire has a voltage of .19 to .2 volts. I have unwrapped the harness all the way to the ECM looking for a worn spot or a short, found nothing. ECM shot?

Short history: 1 coil replaced 2 weeks ago on #2 cyl. , ran fine for 3-4 days, then acted like the T.P.S. was going(skipping at 1/2 throttle and above), that cleared up next day, then 2 days later started skipping on #3(all the time). Replaced coil, plug, no better.

Don't think it's my head gasket as i have no antifreeze loss, ever, and plugs look fine. #3 plug is wet when i pull it, but it smells of fuel, not antifreeze, and it's not white from water. Also, no codes as of yet, but i quit driving it for fear of ruining my new $400 CAT.
Looking for ideas!!

Last edited by prhoades2; 08-19-2010 at 03:16 PM. Reason: voltages
Old 08-19-2010, 03:20 PM
prhoades2

Drove it a couple times today. The only code I'm getting is the p303, #3 misfire. No kidding, really? LOL I even cleaned the grounds on the back of the intake, the ones for the computer. Come on guys, somebody chime in. I'm spending $18 per day driving back and forth to work, love my Suburban, but it's not a commuter car!!! HELP!!
Old 08-20-2010, 11:13 AM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Sentra
2003 Sentra
2002 Sentra GXE

try switching coil packs around to see if the missfire moves. if so, you know it is the coilpack. if not, then i would suspect a broken wire or bad ECU
Old 08-22-2010, 05:57 AM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

Conure with judojohn,If you find that the new coil is bad replace with oem and not aftermarket coils.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:51 AM
Enthusiast
2003 Sentra
2003 Sentra SE-R

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I experienced hesitation and the CEL flashed at me on my way home last night. I stopped, shut it off, started back up and limped it home at about 40mph. It ran smooth when cruising, but I could feel the misfire under acceleration and a shudder when idling. I scanned the code this morning and came up with P303, misfire on cylinder 3. Being that the car has 130k and the original plugs I put in new NGK platinum plugs. I also switched the coil packs between cylinders 3 & 4.

***I should mention my vehicle is 2003 SE-R with 2.5L***

After driving it again for a little while the hesitation returned and the CEL came back on. I re-scanned it and found that the code was now for a misfire on #4. Based on my swap of the coil packs the code seemed to follow the coil. I am picking up a new coil pack to put in this afternoon. Does this sound like a reasonable solution? I have already gone through the crank and cam position sensor replacement and have zero indication that it could be a leaky head gasket (not going through any coolant, no coolant or coolant smell in the oil, no water or "shiny" looking piston heads upon visual inspection).

I will put a follow up post after I install the new coil pack to let you know what the outcome is, but am interested in any other ideas in the mean time.

Thanks!

Last edited by mike_s; 09-29-2010 at 09:48 AM. Reason: add year and trim level info
Old 09-29-2010, 02:16 PM
Enthusiast
2003 Sentra
2003 Sentra SE-R

I installed the new coil on cylinder 4 and "knock on wood" everything seems to be running better. I have ran it about 20 miles since installing and the CEL has not returned. I don't seem to be experiencing the hesitation during acceleration anymore and the idle has smoothed out and returned to normal. I would still be interested to hear any tech opinions if you think this sounds like a solved problem or if there might be more at play.

Tags
2001, cylinder, firing, sentra