Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2000 Sentra PO171, sys too lean, bank 1 Forums > > 2000 Sentra PO171, sys too lean, bank 1 2000 Sentra PO171, sys too lean, bank 1
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 04-21-2010, 09:00 AM
BobbyCat

Default 2000 Sentra PO171, sys too lean, bank 1

I have read the fourms. This is a recurring problem. I will list all the symptoms and maybe you can tell me if they are related.

1. Engine light always on. Code reads "PO171, system too lean, bank 1"

2. Engine squeels loudly when started, for about 30 seconds, then stops. It sounds like fan belt, but I dont think so, because It also squeels on cue, if I connect jumper cables from my battery to another.

3. Last year a code indicated that gas tank ventilation system needed attention. I ignored it.... but... the tank fills ultra-slowly. I know I must pull it apart and look for an obstruction. Does it relate to PO171?

4. Last year I cleaned the MAF with the special electronic spray cleaner.

5. I recently added a can of injector cleaner.

I'm not a mechanic. But for you motor detectives out there, Does this add up to one problem or several?
Old 04-21-2010, 01:52 PM
Master Enthusiast
1997 Altima
1995 Sentra
1995 Nissan sentra

replace the mass air flow sensor for the code P0171. spray water on the belts if a squeal occurs either adjust or replace.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:26 PM
BobbyCat

I don't think its the belts squeeling. Why would it begin the squeel when I put a load on the battery? And what else would make such a loud noise for 30 seconds?
Old 04-21-2010, 03:47 PM
2004 Sentra
2004 Sentra SER Spec V

Lightbulb Battery Load Noise

By connecting a load (startup or another battery that has a low charge) to the alternator you are causing it to work. When this happens it will cause the alternator to add resistance to the drive belt. This will cause the geometry of the belt system to change slightly - perhaps a 1/10th of an inch or so. This may be what is causing the 'squeeling' noise. It will only last during the highest point of drag (current load) on the drive system, then as the battery becomes more charged up the alternator can reduce the amount of charge it applies, and reduce the drag (go back to its starting position). Rev the engine and watch stuff move under the hood! Components move a fair bit with high power engines - but even a weed wacker will have a bit of movement!

Now is it the alternator ($$$), another component on the belt drive system ($-$$$$) or the belt ($). I would concur with changing the belt and seeing where that takes you.

Happy Hunting!
Old 04-21-2010, 06:50 PM
BobbyCat

Good logic. Well written. I see, I see. Thank you!!!

Tags
2000, bank, lean, po171, sentra, sys