Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2006 Sentra - Hard Starting AGAIN! Forums > > 2006 Sentra - Hard Starting AGAIN! 2006 Sentra - Hard Starting AGAIN!
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 12-25-2009, 05:36 PM
RipperX

Default 2006 Sentra - Hard Starting AGAIN!

Just had the fuel pump upgrade kit installed back in April, prior to the warranty expiring. The problem is now back once again. Do I dare take it back to the dealer, or look for an independant shop? I'm sure the kit is still under warranty, if that is the problem. Aside from the pressure regulator, is there anything else that can cause this problem?
Old 12-28-2009, 04:21 AM
Enthusiast

2004 sentra 1.8s

When you say it is hard starting, do you mean a long cranking time 5secs+? Or is your engine just starting and stalling or rough idling? If its the case, try this simple solution before doing anything else, it worked on my car with same problem. I just cleaned the throttle body! It sound simple but if the throttle body is dirty, the idle air passage might be obstructed and prevent free air passage, making idling rough. It will cost you 5$.

The other thing i might think of is the fuel pump or fuel filter. The problem with the filter is that you need to remove the whole fuel pump assembly to get access. If you are willing to do it, you might as well change the pump. The check valve inside the pump might be bad, allowing the fuel to drain back in the tank.

By the way, the pump for a 2006 is exactly the same as for a 2000 Sentra. So if you shop around, ask for the price of a 2000 fuel pump, you might save 200$ easy over the price of a 2006 fuel pump. They do fit exactly at the same place.

Please post back you fix!
Old 12-28-2009, 06:42 AM
RipperX

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, it takes about ~5 seconds of cranking to start. It's very intermittent though. Once it starts everything is fine. The car only has 18K miles, so I doub't its a dirty MAF or plugged fuel filter. I've scheduled an appointment with the dealer for tomorrow. This is the 9th problem with this car in <20K miles. I've had it. It's time to sell it. This is the first and last Nissan for me!
Old 01-08-2010, 06:26 PM
ziggy

I have 2005 sentra 1.8s and have similar problem. It occasinaly have long start about 5-7 sec. Usually I let it go first time when not starts for 3-4 sec crancking and then I do second time, and it starts every time. This happend most of the time when engine is worm and sits for 15- 30 minutes.
So far I replaced Throttle body(new) and relearned it. That did not help. Replace air filter, spark plugs, Pcv valve

There is no check engine light.

What else?

Last edited by ziggy; 01-15-2010 at 07:43 AM.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:47 AM
Dltftf

My Nissan Sentra 2006, has a problem starting. My fiancé had someone change the starter, then took it to the dealership and they replaced the oxygen sensor. I replaced the battery. It still hesitates to start of I've driven it and only let it sit for a short while, like to the grocery, a meet, or a game. Afterthe oxygen sensor repair, I didn't experience the problem, but I hadn't taken it on short/quick return trips, had just driven it to work, where it stayed the whole day. Is it worth fixing? I don't want to get stuck somewhere, and I could trade it and start with something different. Please advise.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:34 PM
2005 Sentra

I had the same problem with my 2005 Sentra. Had the fuel pump replaced and it works fine now. I understand it's a problem with a faulty check valve inside the pump that lets fuel flow back after the pump/engine stops running. It takes a while for the fuel to backflow, so if you only turn the engine off for a short time, it usually cranks on the first try. Turn it off for a couple hours, and it takes three tries to get it started. I believe the pump looses prime when the fuel drains from the pump.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:38 PM

2004 Sentra

When this happens to my Sentra (which is fairly often) I just turn the key and listen for the fuel pump to engage (2 - 3 seconds) and then try cranking the engine. Works almost every time. I've put no money into trying to fix the problem. A little annoying, but not a big deal.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:48 PM
2004 Sentra

I have exactly the same issue with my wife's 04 Sentra. At first, I figured it was the fuel pump when the car refused to start for her. Got a little better after the fuel pump, but then a couple days later, it died while she was driving it (thankfully by our house). My mechanic friend suggested the crank/cam sensors and that cured the problem for at least 6 months. Now the hard starting after the car is warm and it sits for a 20 minutes or so is back. Sometimes have to cycle the key two or three times.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:17 PM
2006 Sentra

Default Really no definitive answer?

I'm here because I too have this problem, and it's getting worse. There's colossal amounts of information on this exact problem, and no one seems to really know of a definitive answer as to why it might be.

I have an 06 Sentra and it's the same story. This spring has seen highs in the mid 60's (so not that hot) but already this is enough to have the car all but impossible to start. A long crank time followed by a brief start and stall, but like everyone, short stops are fine and start up perfectly.
Cold starts are fine. The problem happens if it's warm or hot days after extended stationary periods - overnight, etc.

If it's the fuel priming issue as some state, why would hot weather exasperate the situation?

It also seems to me that there are a worrying number of people who had the fuel pump repair kit installed who are back to the same problem in 6 - 12 months.

I'm not particularly impressed with Nissan here. This is a clear cut case of a product needing a recall that they've just side stepped. I'm sure it saves money short term, but I'm on my first Nissan purchase here, and I can't imagine buying another. With this basic lack of concern for customer happiness, why would I?

Is there really no absolute fix discovered yet? This has been reported for something like 8 years now. If the 07 to modern day don't have this issue, then it must be known what that problem was to fix it.

Last edited by breaddrink; 04-03-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:16 PM
Master Enthusiast

2004 sentra

This car 2003 to 2006 had a problem with the fuel pump and the crank/cam
sensors . Nissan replace them under the warranty and in most sentra it"s solve the starting problems.
The 2007 and later years have different engines.
NISSAN SHOULD ISSUE A RECALL! THEY TOO CHEAP! BUY A HONDA!
Old 04-03-2012, 11:50 PM
2006 Sentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritter View Post
This car 2003 to 2006 had a problem with the fuel pump and the crank/cam
sensors . Nissan replace them under the warranty and in most sentra it"s solve the starting problems.
The 2007 and later years have different engines.
NISSAN SHOULD ISSUE A RECALL! THEY TOO CHEAP! BUY A HONDA!
I would if I could.
*sigh*

I emailed my local Nissan dealer asking what I can do about it. Obviously, there was no recall so I doubt I'll get a reply beyond bring it in and we'll give you a quote, if I get any response at all.

Rob.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:22 PM
2004 Sentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by breaddrink View Post
Is there really no absolute fix discovered yet? This has been reported for something like 8 years now. If the 07 to modern day don't have this issue, then it must be known what that problem was to fix it.
Any luck finding an answer for this? :(
I'm having the exact same problem with my '04 Sentra. Like you, I can find a TON of different articles reporting the same problem without any solutions...

On cold starts (going to work in the morning, leaving work), the car starts fine every time. But pretty much every time I leave the car for about an hour or two and come back to start the car, every single time the first crank fails but also every time it starts on the second try.

I know the common answer seems to be this (fuel pump repair kit):
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/ba...NTB05-052a.pdf

But just as commonly I see people say the problem just comes back.

Something I don't see an answer to as well... has anyone had this starting problem lead to some bigger problem? If it's just an inconvenience factor I might as well just live with it...
Old 04-07-2012, 09:32 PM
2006 Sentra

I've sent them a couple of emails asking about it and only ever get super politically correct generic responses stating things like there has been no known recall issued, etc.

I suppose I didn't ever expect to get an actual reply admitting to knowing about this specifically, as it would be admitting to knowing about the fault of the engine in the first place, but what else am I to do?

I'm really surprised there isn't a class action law suit concerning this. It's extraordinary.
It made me feel slightly better in some small way to ask them why on earth would I ever consider buying another Nissan ever again with this kind of side stepping disgraceful behavior.

Idiotic short sighted behavior on their part.

I don't k now about any larger problems beyond one I can think of, but if your battery is getting on in life, it's not going to want to successfully crank for a minute at a time before it isn't physically able to start the car any more at all.

It must have happened to thousands by now.

I find it particularly frustrating, because their lack of admitting to a fault seems to see people wandering off with their mechanics on a random trial and error fixing spree that costs a LOT of money, only to regularly come back anyway...Thus, still no decisive answer as to what it really is.
I understand them not wanting to leave themselves open, legally speaking and say "It's THIS", but without them doing that, this cock and bull chase seems to go on.
For every single person claiming they've found what the problem is, there's dozens of others saying it's something else, or some saying they thought it was that but 6 months down the line it came back.
They generally surround the fuel pump, but as you also noticed, some of those people claim the fix doesn't last.

Have we read of anyone who nailed it and fixed it for good? Also, would a brand new pump (just trying to userp other problems of using the repair kit and replace the whole unit) contain the repair kit or would it be basically the same one I have now? Replacing the pump seems an easier task than removing, opening and replacing/adding parts and then replacing the same unit. Just seems like it's rife for new problems.

Incidentally, I've tried the waiting 15 seconds with the battery powered to allow the pump to prime with no success. It's still just as random as ever, with a definite noticeable increase in length of time taken when weather is hot.

Rob.

Last edited by breaddrink; 04-07-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:15 PM
2006 Sentra

A new avenue to try...

While shopping for a replacement battery for my 06 sentra, someone on amazon noted that they had a hard start (long crank times) on their 04 sentra, and the new and more powerful battery cured it.

Taking this with a grain of salt of course, but I need a new battery anyway, and so I'm a little more excited than I might be otherwise to try it out.

I'll follow up when it arrives.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:46 AM
2006 Sentra

Default The battery has helped.

New battery in.

It is better. It isn't 100 percent but it's close.

I have possibly started the car 30 times since purchasing the new battery, and only once has it needed to crank over more than once.
This is including the warmest days of the year so far. It's simply jumping to life again like it used to.

It's early days and I'll continue to monitor it as and when I use the car, but there is clearly a link here. Has anyone else who still experiences this long crank problem have any information as to the age/power of their battery?

Tags
2006, hard, sentra, starting