Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2004 Sentra has P0302,0507 and 0447 Forums > > 2004 Sentra has P0302,0507 and 0447 2004 Sentra has P0302,0507 and 0447
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 10-18-2009, 06:14 PM
k.micha

Default 2004 Sentra has P0302,0507 and 0447

My car has a bouquet of SES codes.
The 0507 (High idle speed) and 0447 (Canister vent valve) are ongoing codes, and 0302 (Cyl.#2 misfire) happens mostly when the engine is cold, but when it gets warmer - it disappears.
Symptoms:
a. The car has normal Idle speed on gear, but on "neutral" and "parking" jumps to 1400RPM. Tried to do several times Idle speed re-learn - no difference.
b. Also while it's cold, has very high vibration on idle. No white smoke coming from the exhaust, no bobbles on the oil probe and no oil in the green coolant.
c. Only EVAP Canister vent valve causing P0447 I found dead with the harness corroded, I'll fix it in the last priority.

First, I took the car to my mechanic. After one week of investigations he said the manifold gasket is leaking and causes the vibration. I gave him OK for replacement. The replacement didn't solve the problem.
I understood I have to go to a dealer for the diagnosis. They said - the reason for the vibration and misfire is the head gasket. After it's replacement then they could diagnose the 0507 Idle speed problem and if the throttle body is OK or not (the coils and injectors found OK) .

I'm afraid if I'll change the head gasket it won't re-solve the misfire and vibration problem and the dealer will offer some other expensive service.

Which steps should I perform to eliminate the unnecessary replacements and what should be checked either by myself or my mechanic to narrow down the problems' causes? Should I clean the throttle and MAF? If i do might other things go wrong?
I'm sure that the similar problem occurred hundreds of times for other Sentra owners and if one of them can share his experience I'd be very appreciated.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:21 AM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Sentra
2003 Sentra
2002 Sentra GXE

Do an oil analysis by blackstone labs. that wil tell you definitively if the head gasket is leaking. p0302 may be related to the HG. you could move around the coils and see if one is bad causing the misfire.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:54 AM
k.micha

Thank you for the valuable advice. Oil analysis sounds makes sense.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:55 PM
Master Enthusiast
1997 Altima
1995 Sentra
1995 Nissan sentra

The 302 code cylinder misfire. If it happens to run rough for a few seconds then disappear it is the head gasket. You will not see much in cross contamination as it leaks into the cylinder in question. The P0507 is the ISC system. A relearn normally fixes this issue but rarely it is the ECM. Follow the diagnostics will tell you to replace the ECM.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:05 PM
k.micha

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamcast View Post
The 302 code cylinder misfire. If it happens to run rough for a few seconds then disappear it is the head gasket. You will not see much in cross contamination as it leaks into the cylinder in question.
The vibration is running for 20-30 minutes, then slowly reduces.
Since the HG replacement is not cheep, I'll send first the oil for analysis. It will take a little time to get the kit from Balckstone labs to Canada and ship it back to US for result, but I'll wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamcast View Post
The P0507 is the ISC system. A relearn normally fixes this issue but rarely it is the ECM. Follow the diagnostics will tell you to replace the ECM.
When I took the car to Nissan dealer for diagnosis, I mentioned that I did several times the ISC re-learn without luck and asked them if it could be the ECM? They said - "The ECM seems to be OK. First fix the HG and the vibration and then we will deal with ISC".
The ECM is the only part remaining under warranty and they are not hurrying to replace it.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:47 PM
k.micha

Today happened something new: the SES light start blinking for a minute or so and then returned back to steady "ON". It happened twice. Used the ELM327 scanner to check out if I have any additional codes - nothing new. Only the old 0302, 0507.
Is it alert for something serious?
Old 10-21-2009, 06:40 AM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Sentra
2003 Sentra
2002 Sentra GXE

have you done the oil analysis? If not, do it! you most likely have a head gasket leak. the coolant leaks into #3 (usually) cylinder and causes the misfire. I know from experience. I learned form the B15 sentra forum. Join that one and ask. you will get the same answers, i bet.

here is the link:

B15sentra.net - Nissan Sentra Forum
Old 10-21-2009, 07:35 PM
oceanbluej

what are the SES codes that indicate that the mass air flow needs to be replaced in a 2003 Sentra SE-R? Thanks you,
Old 10-22-2009, 10:37 AM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Sentra
2003 Sentra
2002 Sentra GXE

try this link:

http://www.nissanhelp.com/diy/sentra/engine_codes.htm

also learn to use the search on the forum.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:11 PM
k.micha

Some updates and finding on my previous topic:
The recent finding shown up the strong vacuum leak via injectors' o-rings. This has fixed the 0507 code.
But to 0302 also been added 0300 random cylinder misfire code and I guess that's the reason for SES blinking.
The compression test result:
#1: 155lb
#2: 130
#3: 175
#4: 180
The cylinder #2 has a little lower reading, but I think this shouldn't be a problem for misfire, but indication to the future big issue with HG.
Checked the plugs. All plugs are dry. The plug #2 darker then others (including the ceramics inside). Checked the plugs for spark. All of them - OK. Might be injector? Tomorrow will swap between them.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:48 PM
k.micha

Put my car at the dealership for the HG replacement. Prior the work the price was discussed. But today they called me and said - "we should send the head fro grinding. It's 180$ more then the discussed price". I was confused. Isn't a grinding a part of any standard head treatment? I asked different mechanics and they said that always send removed heads for grinding.
Is Nissan's standard procedure for HG replacement not to grind the head?

Tags
0447, 0507, 2004, p0302, sentra