Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
'98 Nissan Sentra Stalling Forums > > '98 Nissan Sentra Stalling '98 Nissan Sentra Stalling
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 08-29-2009, 06:29 PM
Seanj

Default '98 Nissan Sentra Stalling

Hi, I have a '98 Nissan Sentra SE. It is an automatic with the 2 liter engine. I've been having problems with the vehicle stalling for about a year now. It stalls when it is really cold. Like if it has been sitting in the garage for a day or two or if it is real cold outside. Once the engine has warmed up for about 15 minutes it's fine. I've changed the O2 sensor to no avail along with coolant temperature sender and air filter. Does any one have any further suggestions? This is the only problem i've ever had with the car and i've owned it for 10 years.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Is the engine light ON? Any codes stored in the engine control module (ECM)? My best guess is that you may have a problem with the air flow meter.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:14 AM
Seanj

Nope no codes or check engine light. Could you please explain what leads you to belive it's the air flow meter?

Last edited by Seanj; 08-30-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:20 PM
hollywood28

I had that happen once with another import that I owned and found it to be a sensor by the intake manifold/ throttle body. I believe it was called a throttle postioning sensor or idle sensor. It regulates the idle on your automobile when the car is cold or under a load, like the A/C engauging. My engine light never came on either. I hope this helps.....
Old 05-21-2010, 03:46 PM
Seanj

Default Torque Converter

I think this problem may have to do with the torque converter. Specifically, I think it may be a software issue as it only occurs at low temperatures.For some reason the torque converter is locking up when it shouldn't be at low temperatures causing the car to stall.

Does anyone know where the module that controls the torque converter is located in my Sentra? It is a '98 with the 2L engine.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:41 PM
Master Enthusiast

2004 sentra

check you PCV ?????
Old 05-21-2010, 07:17 PM
Seanj

I'm not a pro but if it was that valve wouldn't the issue occur with and without the car being in gear? Also, wouldn't it occur both cold and warm?

My car is stalling only when cold and when placing in gear or stopping.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:10 PM
Master Enthusiast

2004 sentra

No -Check it !
You change your O sensor -Why ? Fuel Efficiency problem ?
Old 05-22-2010, 09:20 AM
Seanj

Yes I have changed the O2 sensor. How do I go About checking the PCV? Do I just change it out for a new one?
Old 05-22-2010, 03:43 PM
Master Enthusiast
1997 Altima
1995 Sentra
1995 Nissan sentra

If it were the torque convertor the vehicle would shake or vibrate before the stall. But what happens to the vehicle during the stall incident, is it after the engine has warmed or while you are trying to start the vehicle at cold temps?
Old 05-22-2010, 08:14 PM
Master Enthusiast

2004 sentra

You could change it!
Disconnect it ,shake it ,you should hear it loose inside and check for suction.
It also could be a fuel pressure regulator or........... a clog fuel pump but we need more information .!!!???
Old 05-23-2010, 08:18 AM
Seanj

I've changed the fuel pump and fuel pump regulator. The stall is just like that of a manual when some one doesn't know how to slip the clutch properly. If the car does get rolling without stalling when I slow down it will stutter a little as I am slowing to a stop then eventually will stall. Most of the time the car stalls as soon as I put it in gear. It jumps a little then stalls.

I hope this is a better description of the event. It only occurs when cold causing me to believe there is some sort of software issue with the torque converter. I know that torque converters are an uncommon problem but I think that is what it may be. However, I am not a pro just a college kid trying to save money. Does any one know where the control module for the torque converter is located on this model? If it is easily accessible I am thinking about trying a used one to see of it solves the problem.

Thank You for all of your help.

Last edited by Seanj; 05-23-2010 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:51 AM
Master Enthusiast

2004 sentra

Need Tps adjusment or just check your throttel body -need cleaning ?
Old 05-23-2010, 11:51 AM
Seanj

Cleaned throttle body. Haven't played with TPS adjustment but have tried air flow adjustment.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:06 PM
Master Enthusiast
1997 Altima
1995 Sentra
1995 Nissan sentra

Based on what u said seanj it is most likely the torque convertor. Check and see if it has the solenoid if soo disconnect it and see if it stops. U should be able to disconnect the terminals without pulling the pan.

Tags
'98, stalling