Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Feasabilty/instructions to replace rear drive shaft U-JOINT busted at transfer case due to locked wheel. Forums > > Feasabilty/instructions to replace rear drive shaft U-JOINT busted at transfer case due to locked wheel. Feasabilty/instructions to replace rear drive shaft U-JOINT busted at transfer case due to locked wheel.
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Rogue Nissan Rogue Discussion Forum

Old 12-06-2020, 08:20 AM
2008 Rogue

Default Feasabilty/instructions to replace rear drive shaft U-JOINT busted at transfer case due to locked wheel.

The rear drive shaft U-JOINT on my 2008 Rogue AWD busted at transfer case due to locked rear wheel caused by a failed rear wheel bearing. I have had the bearing replaced. I am wondering about the feasibility of and specific instructions to replace the joint alone. The shaft is otherwise fine.

I see the part is available, but it looks like just the cross shaped pin. How is that replaced? Or can you replace the entire joint, both Us and pin intact? I see bolts to remove the U attached to the transfer case, but the shaft is still on so I cannot see the end,if/how the shaft end of the U comes off. Can a local cheap shop do this or are there technically challenging steps that I should use a dealer or transmission shop to perform?

Also, how bad is it to drive with the entire shaft removed. as the AWD will occasionally try to send power to the rear automatically even when the Lock AWD button is off? Is there a fuse I can remove to disable the automatic AWD engagement to prevent this and drive as a 2WD until I get the joint fixed?

Thanks for any help.
Old 12-09-2020, 05:33 PM
2015 Rogue

The joint isn't available from Nissan . They only sell a compete drive shaft. It won't hurt to drive it with the shaft removed.

Tags
drive, feasabilty/instructions, rear, replace, shaft