Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Rogue AC Compressor Question Forums > > Rogue AC Compressor Question Rogue AC Compressor Question
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Rogue Nissan Rogue Discussion Forum

Old 07-01-2020, 11:12 PM
2013 Rogue

Default Rogue AC Compressor Question

Hi,

I have a 2013 Rogue. The ac is not working and I am attempting to fix it by replacing the ac clutch, pulley, and coil. There is something I don't grasp about how the ac compressor works.

My understanding is that when the ac coil is activated, it generates an electromagnetic force that draws the clutch towards the spinning pulley. When the clutch and pulley engages, torque is transferred to the shaft of the ac compressor, making the cooling cycle possible.

What I don't understand is this: where is that 'play' that makes it possible for the clutch to be drawn towards the pulley when the ac coil is activated? I have just installed the new coil and pulley and clutch, and I notice that everything is screwed on tightly with no play at all (there is an air gap between the clutch and the pulley; but the gap is fixed and I can't close it by pushing against the clutch). I don't see any spring anywhere that would give the clutch any play.

So what gives that allows the clutch to move towards the pulley when the coil is activated? Should the shaft of the ac compressor move axially if you push against it (with the car off)? I have tried but the shaft of my ac compressor does not move inward or outward.

I have not yet tried starting my car to test the new parts because I am afraid that the source of the problem may be something else.

Thank you for your help.

Tags
compressor, question, rogue