Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Vehicle shutdown 3 times in past 2 weeks Forums > > Vehicle shutdown 3 times in past 2 weeks Vehicle shutdown 3 times in past 2 weeks
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Rogue Nissan Rogue Discussion Forum

Old 10-10-2019, 10:23 AM
2017 Rogue

Default Vehicle shutdown 3 times in past 2 weeks

I have a 2017 Nissan Rouge I bought from Nissan 2 months ago and in the past 2 weeks, has shutdown randomly 3 different times. I took it into Nissan, they checked the data from the system, and found cylinders 1 and 3 misfired. They checked the spark plugs and found them to be burnt.

They told us that we must of got bad gas and it caused us to get an disproportionate amount if fuel causing the spark plugs to be burnt. Since this problem isnt a manufacture defect it's not covered in the warranty and they want $788 to replace plugs and flush out fuel.

My question is cant I get this done cheaper somewhere else? Also is flushing out the fuel necessary?? Sorry if I seem stupid but I dont know much about vehicle mechanics and just wanna make sure we arent getting screwed or if there is a better way to go about this then paying close to $1000. Thank you
Old 10-13-2019, 09:56 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Of course, you can always take your vehicle somewhere else. Most independent auto repair shops are less expensive than dealers and changing spark plugs and cleaning out a fuel system is within most reputable shop's capabilities. That said, and speaking as a former Nissan tech, what steps did they tech to confirm that the fuel was bad, outside of looking at a couple of spark plugs and making a wild guess? In order to do so, they would need to take a fuel sample. Usually this is done by disconnecting a fuel line and letting the fuel pump dispense gas into a clean, clear glass, jar or beaker or similar item. If there is water in the gas, it will separate and it will be visible in the jar after settling for a few minutes. Dirt would be visible, but that should have been stopped at the fuel pump module filter. If nothing is detected visually, then the gas sample could be sent out to a testing facility like Blackstone Labs to be tested and confirmed that contamination is the issue.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:35 AM
2017 Rogue

They told me they have no way to test the fuel. Also not sure if I told u but they checked the data and found cylinder 1 and 3 misfirred
Old 10-20-2019, 02:51 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

As I mentioned, they can just collect a gas sample in a clear glass bottle or jar. If there is dirt contamination, it can be seen. If there is water in the gas, after sitting a few minutes, it will separate from the gas and be visible.

Tags
past, shutdown, times, vehicle, weeks