Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Accidental CVT oil drained . Forums > > Accidental CVT oil drained . Accidental CVT oil drained .
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Rogue Nissan Rogue Discussion Forum

Old 05-06-2019, 10:41 AM
2017 Rogue
2017 Rogue SV

Red face Accidental CVT oil drained .

Botched my motor oil change by not getting a better view of the bottom end of my engine & transmission . Anyhow I drained an unknown amount of CVT fluid into an oil pan that already had old oil in it . I realized my error but it was too late . I may have drained 2 quarts or more . I then found through many sources that there is no dipstick to assist in a simple refill . This 2017 Rogue only has 20,000 miles on it . Is there a simple answer such as continuing to drain all the fluid and refilling to whatever fluid capacity ?
Old 05-06-2019, 05:14 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Phares View Post
Botched my motor oil change by not getting a better view of the bottom end of my engine & transmission . Anyhow I drained an unknown amount of CVT fluid into an oil pan that already had old oil in it . I realized my error but it was too late . I may have drained 2 quarts or more . I then found through many sources that there is no dipstick to assist in a simple refill . This 2017 Rogue only has 20,000 miles on it . Is there a simple answer such as continuing to drain all the fluid and refilling to whatever fluid capacity ?
On the transmission case next to the transmission pan you will see a bolt with a 14mm head. To check the level pour about what you think you drained out into the fill tube. Start the engine and let it run until it is up to operating temperature and remove the bolt. Fluid should run out. If it doesn't add more fluid. When it slows to about one drip per second you are at the correct level
Old 05-07-2019, 12:40 AM
2017 Rogue
2017 Rogue SV

Thank you a bunch ! But when I'm checking this level , should I shut off the engine . Is this just an oil crankcase or reservoir . What if I overfill with my guess on the amount I lost . Then I let the oil drain out this same 14 MM bolt hole ?

I will use a new waste oil pan because this oil is expensive and I won't mix brands , I'll use the Nissan OEM specified . I haven't got an amount for the CVT reservoir. The service manual download at this site only covers up to 2016 .
Again thanks so much.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:23 AM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Phares View Post
Thank you a bunch ! But when I'm checking this level , should I shut off the engine . Is this just an oil crankcase or reservoir . What if I overfill with my guess on the amount I lost . Then I let the oil drain out this same 14 MM bolt hole ?

I will use a new waste oil pan because this oil is expensive and I won't mix brands , I'll use the Nissan OEM specified . I haven't got an amount for the CVT reservoir. The service manual download at this site only covers up to 2016 .
Again thanks so much.
Engine running when checking. It is basically a tube that is set at the correct level for the fluid in the transmission pan with the engine running. Excess fluid will overflow and come out of the tube. Overfilling is ok, the excess will drain through the tube . These transmissions usually hold about 5 quarts when drained from the drain plug.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:26 AM
2015 Rogue

https://youtu.be/rbqLVEDDlFo

This video shows the bolt. It is for a 2014 Altima but it is set up the same on the rogue.

Tags
accidental, cvt, drained, oil