Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Replacing rear arm and wiper assembly on 2004 Quest Forums > > Replacing rear arm and wiper assembly on 2004 Quest Replacing rear arm and wiper assembly on 2004 Quest
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Quest Nissan Quest Discussion Forum

Old 04-19-2008, 06:03 PM
cnj

Smile Replacing rear arm and wiper assembly on 2004 Quest

I purchased a whole rear arm-wipper assembly for my 2004 Quest. I managed to remove the nut holding the old arm down. However, I am not able to separate the arm from the screw. Could someone help? I'm afraid I would break something trying to force the arm out. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

It's actually tricky. The part of the arm that is attached to the vehicle, needs to be press down to release pressure. You have to press until the arm is perpendicular to the screw. DO NOT PRY OUT the arm, once you press the arm it usually comes out very easy.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:34 PM
cnj

Default still couldn't get it

I actually tried that even before you suggested it since there didn't seem to be another way this arm would come out. I went out to try your suggestion again just now. Still couldn't get it. How far do I need to press down, i.e., towards the trunk? You mentioned that I have to press until the arm is perpendicular to the screw. I don't quite understand this position since the arm should already be in the perpendicular position to the screw at rest. And do I also need to attempt to rotate the arm while pressing down? When do I know that the arm will be loose since I'm pressing it down and it's kinda hard to sense when the arm becomes loose since there's still a screw running through the hole in the arm? Thanks for your help.

Last edited by cnj; 04-19-2008 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:14 PM
cnj

Default Got it!

Went to see if there was a special tool to pull out the stubborn wiper arm. A customer at AutoZone happened to overhear my dilemma. He couldn't believe that the arm would not just come out. So he helped me by first pulling back the rubber boot under the arm and then he stuck a pair of pliers with one end touching the base of the screw and the other end touching the arm. Yes, he's prying the arm off. It did very slight damage to the base but he got the arm off in less than 20 seconds. The base of the screw is basically a spline. When the nut is tightened, the nut pushed the sleeve of the arm into the spline. This is how the arm hangs on to the screw. The whole experience was a bad one. Took too many hours to swap a wiper arm!! I won't even dare changing the brake light for fear of breaking the lamp assembly. Good luck with your endeavor!
Old 02-14-2009, 09:52 AM
Lobsang

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnj View Post
Went to see if there was a special tool to pull out the stubborn wiper arm. A customer at AutoZone happened to overhear my dilemma. He couldn't believe that the arm would not just come out. So he helped me by first pulling back the rubber boot under the arm and then he stuck a pair of pliers with one end touching the base of the screw and the other end touching the arm. Yes, he's prying the arm off. It did very slight damage to the base but he got the arm off in less than 20 seconds. The base of the screw is basically a spline. When the nut is tightened, the nut pushed the sleeve of the arm into the spline. This is how the arm hangs on to the screw. The whole experience was a bad one. Took too many hours to swap a wiper arm!! I won't even dare changing the brake light for fear of breaking the lamp assembly. Good luck with your endeavor!
Curious how things are...

I Just finished replacing the arm on my 2006 quest. Like you pointed out in your post, once you remove the nut, the arm still seems held in place by something. I used a screwdriver to carefully retract the rubber boot and make sure that nothing special was holding the arm in place. I tried pulling it out and twisting it side to side, to no avail. The solution was a half-second spray of WD-40. Once I did it, it just took a bit of twisting to get the arm out without pain.

Once you have the arm out, just "click" the blade out. There's no flaps to lift and unlock it, like in the front wipers.

Another thing: When you put it back, make sure you lift the blade as much as you can (stretch the spring). If you don't do that, the arm will not seat properly in the shaft. I suspect the nut would force it in place anyways, but it's best to do it the proper way.

Hope it helps someone out there with the same problem. :)

-- Lob
Old 10-27-2012, 08:56 AM
2004 Quest

Default Here's how I got my old wiper blade arm off

I used a lot of WD40. First to unscrew the nut, and then to work the arm off.
Once you get the nut off, spray WD40 on the screw and let sit for an hour or more.
Once that works in, hold the arm where it attaches to screw with both hands and start (gently) lifting it up and down, up and down. Almost in a tumbling motion- so as you lift up, you also pull out. and when you lift down, you also pull out. ( I wish I could draw it somehow-- but use your wrists) I was amazed how easily it just popped off after 3 to 4 up and downs.
Best of luck!