Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Rear Sonar System not working Forums > > Rear Sonar System not working Rear Sonar System not working
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Quest Nissan Quest Discussion Forum

Old 06-27-2011, 01:23 PM
wakramer

I've had the speaker fail twice on my '05. This is apparently a very common problem. In my case the diagnostic code indicated the speaker as the problem. The last time it happened, I installed a larger, more robust speaker. It has worked flawlessly since.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:54 PM

2004 Quest

From the Service Manual for a 2004:
Self-diagnosis Function
There are four modes of self-diagnosis; entering diagnostics, requesting number of fault codes, requesting fault codes, and idling or clearing fault codes. These steps must be followed in order. Self-diagnosis can be manually exited by turning the ignition OFF, or selecting reverse gear. Self-diagnosis will automatically exit if a message is repeated five times without acknowledgement, before reporting number of faults if no switch activity is detected for thirty seconds or in idle mode if no switch activity is detected for thirty seconds.

ENTERING DIAGNOSTICS MODE
1. Turn ignition switch ON. Rear sonar system OFF switch indicator lamp comes on for three seconds and then goes out.
2. Immediately push rear sonar system OFF switch ten times within five seconds.
3. The the sonar buzzer sounds once and the rear sonar system OFF indicator flashes once.

REQUESTING NUMBER OF FAULT CODES MODE
1. While in diagnostic mode, push rear sonar system OFF switch once.
2. The sonar buzzer will sound once.
3. Rear sonar system OFF indicator will flash once and sonar buzzer will sound once for each fault code detected.
4. There will be a four second pause.
5. The number of fault codes will repeat then pause five times.
NOTE: Self-diagnosis will exit unless requesting fault codes occurs before five repeats ends.

REQUESTING FAULT CODES MODE
1. While in requesting number of fault codes mode, push rear sonar system OFF switch once.
2. The sonar buzzer will sound once.
3. Rear sonar system OFF Indicator will flash and sonar buzzer will sound the first digit of the fault code followed by a one second pause.
4. Rear sonar system OFF Indicator will flash and sonar buzzer will sound the second digit of the fault code followed by a four second pause.
5. The fault codes will repeat then pause five times.
NOTE:Requesting fault codes will exit unless the fault code is acknowledged before five repeats ends. The fault code is acknowledged by pushing the rear sonar system OFF switch once (the sonar buzzer may sound). When all fault codes have been indicated, idle mode will be entered. See the following table for fault code identification.

Fault Code Malfunction Page Reference
1 1 Rear sonar sensor LH outer
1 2 Rear sonar sensor LH inner
1 3 Rear sonar sensor RH inner
1 4 Rear sonar sensor RH outer
Check harness for open or short. If NG repair or replace harness. If OK replace sensor.

2 1 Sonar buzzer
2 2 Rear sonar system OFF indicator
2 3 Rear sonar system OFF switch
2 4 Sonar control unit. Replace sonar control unit.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:00 PM
2004 Quest

Rear sonar off indicator lamp never goes out.how can I self diagnose?my wife depends on the sonar.....
Old 07-22-2012, 10:55 PM
2007 Quest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songster View Post
Rear sonar off indicator lamp never goes out.how can I self diagnose?my wife depends on the sonar.....

My wife's car did the same thing. I found that if I lightly pressed on the speaker in the middle, that the light would go out and the sound came back, but only while pressing the speaker. The resistance on the speaker leads went from open to 200 Ohms after it was pressed. I am replacing the speaker since it should not read as an open circuit.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:37 AM
2004 Quest
2004 Quest

Default 2004 Nissan Quest Sonar Fixed for free

I had to write to thank all of you for your assistance with this issue. I was inspired by all of your information and I used some ingenuity to fix my backup sonar. I just thought I would share it for the next person.

I couldn’t see paying a dealership $70 for a speaker which I am sure was a $1 item if you could get it somewhere else. However I can’t let anything stay broken especially when it is one of the Options that made me purchase the car.

One of you guys mentioned where the speaker was and how to get to it. It was as simple as pulling up on the speedometer cowl, starting from the left side and moving to the right side. Several uncomfortable popping sounds and the trim came up OK. I will attach the picture of the process from here on out. Remove the 4 screws from the Speedometer cluster labeled in the picture below (Number 2 may be hidden under the GPS antenna wire). Under the Speedometer unit you will see the black speaker assembly I have pictured below. Lifting the clips with a jewlers screwdriver or something of that size will allow you to open the plastic enclosure. It hinges on the side opposite the connector so don't break this hinge. Once the enclosure is open the piezo speaker element is revealed and here comes the ingenuity.

Someone had mentioned that they used an old set of headphones (the walkman type) I don't have them anymore but I realized that I had an old Uniden Cordless phone that I was no longer able to use because of a broken LCD screen. I opened up the back and removed the Ringer speaker by the wires. I kept the wires connected to the speaker, and simply soldered the wires to the existing defective speaker connector (Since the speaker was open anyway and I wanted it connected snugly). I melted a small opening between the halves of the enclosure so that the speaker wires could come through the enclosure nicely, carefully closed the enclosure, and then tie wrapped the new speaker to the old speaker. I also melted the tie wraps together with a tack melt to keep them from moving. I don't want that speaker coming loose and banging around in the dash.

The fault is gone the Sonar works again (although slightly lower in volume) and it was free and most people have an old cordless phone or pair of headphones laying around.

See the pictures for detail because who wants to read 1000 words (3 pictures could be worth 3000 words). All I know is that all of this was cheaper then a $70 part from Nissan not to mention the installation cost.

Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
Rear Sonar System not working-console-remove-jpg   Rear Sonar System not working-new-speaker-assembly-jpg   Rear Sonar System not working-new-speaker-installed-jpg  

Last edited by Bryntara; 12-14-2012 at 04:52 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-09-2013, 07:26 PM
2005 Quest

Unhappy Sonar Diagnostics does not come on

I have a 2005 Nissan Quest and noticed my rear bumper sonar is off and the light will not go off.

I tried turning on the ignition the pushing the switch 10 times quickly within a second and nothing happens, the OFF light just stays on.

Anything else I can try? Or does this mean something else is wrong?

Thanks for any help,

Peggy
Old 01-10-2013, 04:33 AM
2004 Quest
2004 Quest

Default Diagnostics do not come on for Rear Sonar

Peggy,
Your speaker is probably defective. My "Sonar Off light" would not change status until I replaced the speaker. The diagnostics are audio as well as visual but if the speaker does not work it seems like you never entered diagnostics. The fact that the Off light is on means that the system failed diagnostics.

If you are willing to try to replace the speaker it is not too difficult. Just folow the pictures/instructions in my previous post. The original part can be obtained on line from www.courtesyparts.com Item number 25640-7S200. However that it is pricey for something that may not work ($47.00 without shipping). Another option is that you can use something else to test. I used an old Uniden cordless phone ringer speaker to replace my speaker and so far so good ($0). Another poster hacked an old walkman headphone speaker ($0). Another poster found that you can purchase a speaker from www.pololu.com item number 1261 for $1.99 plus shipping (about $5) and that worked too. There are Several options and the hardest part is removing the Speedometer trim. This can be done by carefully prying upward on the black trim with some uncomfortable popping sounds. Then removing the 4 screws that I identified in my pictures in the prior post. Then install your preferred replacement with some creative soldering.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:04 PM
2004 Quest

I just recently purchased a 04 quest and it also has the light that always stays on, but I noticed one little thing....... The rear bumper sensors are not there. It looks like they were removed, covered in bondo, and painted over . Any suggestions on this issue?
Old 05-05-2016, 08:58 PM
2008 Maxima

I have an '08 Maxima, with SOME of the rear bumper sensors visibly bad, and I'm looking for a part number of the sensor, I will replace myself, IF I can find a part #. I have a Service Manual (pdf) and all it says is "rear sonar sensor" parts labeled B301, B302, B303, B304. Can't find that number anywhere to price/order.

Tags
rear, sonar, system, working