Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Buying a Nissan Quest 2014 - 2016 CVT issues Forums > > Buying a Nissan Quest 2014 - 2016 CVT issues Buying a Nissan Quest 2014 - 2016 CVT issues
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Quest Nissan Quest Discussion Forum

Old 10-21-2020, 09:04 PM
2014 Maxima
1998 Maxima

Default Buying a Nissan Quest 2014 - 2016 CVT issues

Hi All, thank you for the great site and feedback information. Nissan is one my favorite makes in cars, as I had a Maxima 98 and gotten over 290k before it went out. My Maxima 2014 has 65k and has been fine as a commuter car.

I've been looking at mini vans for the family and just don't want to buy a Sienna or Odyssey. I like how the Quest looks. After reading many of the reviews, it seems the earlier generations from 2011-2014 had the most CVT issues. The 2015-2017 had a different gen in the CVT and was less problematic, or maybe.

I am looking at 3 currently to buy:
1st: 2014 / SL / 70k
2nd: 2015 / S / 30k
3rd: 2016 / SV / 60k

The wife would prefer the SL as it has leather and it would help with cleaning the vehicle if the kids spill juice, the others are cloth and it doesn't bother me one bit. If you had to choose 1, which one? I know the low mileage would be preferred, however, I just wanted opinions and what people thought about the CVT or other issues that would arise based on these 3 model years.

Thanks.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:28 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Nissan is still having problems, today, on various models. My friend purchased a low-mileage, 2016 Altima last year and a week later the CVT failed and there was a TSB on it. I'm a former Nissan Master Tech and I don't trust them. They are pretty much hit or miss in that some people have no problems with them and a lot of other people have had them fail...and not necessarily because of abuse or lack of service, although some say replacing the CVT fluid every 30,000 miles helps. If you got the 2016, you might still be able to purchase the Nissan extended warranty to 100,000 miles, so that's something you may want to look into. I usually don't recommend extended warranties, but they are sometimes beneficial when we know certain problems exist on certain vehicles and we don't know the history of the vehicle.

Tags
buying, cvt, issues, nissan, quest