Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2007 Quest misfire and smoke Forums > > 2007 Quest misfire and smoke 2007 Quest misfire and smoke
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Quest Nissan Quest Discussion Forum

Old 09-29-2020, 04:59 PM
2007 Quest

Default 2007 Quest misfire and smoke

My 07 Quest 3.5 is in need of help and I am out of ideas. Here is the rundown.

About five months ago it started running rough with a cylinder 3 misfire. A mechanic diagnosed it as a bad injector and was set to replace it but said he couldn't get things apart to get to it.

So my wife and I watch some YouTube videos and take on the job which took about four hours. We replaced all six injectors, spark plugs, PCV valve, and I swapped the #3 coil pack to cylinder 4 before closing it up. After firing it up, cylinder 4 misfire. Replaced the coil pack and everything was great for four months and 4,000 miles.

She calls me, check engine light blinking and running rough a month ago. Hook it up, cylinder 5 misfire. Luckily with long thin arms I could replace that one without tearing everything apart again. Van was again running fine for 1,000 miles.

Now this week. This time it is running rough, check engine light blinking, and white smoke from the tailpipe. I suspect the head gasket and start looking at it. No coolant missing, and the smoke from the exhaust smells of oil and gas. Scan reveals cylinder 2 misfire and a P0151 for the A/F O2 sensor right below that cylinder.

I pull the coil and swap it, doesn't fix it. Pull the plug and it is wet but I test it and it has good spark but I change it anyway. I change out the o2 sensor and no change. Finally I pull the injector and test it and spray choke cleaner goes right through it so I suspected it was stuck open. I get a new injector and put it in, not fixed.

It is however different. Although it is a little rough, it isn't as rough. I ran it and let it get up to temp at idle and revved it a bit and although it threw the misfire on #2 code again I cleared it and ran more and it didn't do it again. There is also far less smoke and the smoke that is coming out is the smell of burning oil and no gas odor.

Testing with a meter and test light I can see pulses on the front three injectors and can also feel them ticking with my finger when it is running. The only thing I noticed that seemed a little off was that with the ignition on there was only 9.5v at the injector wires and not full battery voltage.

Last, I used a block tested with the radiator and there was no color change in the fluid indicating that there was no combustion gases present in the coolant which would happen with a head leak of coolant.

I am at a loss on this one, no idea where to turn. It almost seems like it is something simple that I just have no clue about.

Can anyone assist with some ideas on where to look or what to check? I really appreciate it. Buying another vehicle is just tough as well as a big repair bill with all the crud going on lately in the country. My young daughter also wants "Nessy the Quessy" feeling good again.

Thank you.

Last edited by mt_100; 09-29-2020 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-12-2021, 06:03 AM
2004 Quest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_100 View Post
My 07 Quest 3.5 is in need of help and I am out of ideas. Here is the rundown.

About five months ago it started running rough with a cylinder 3 misfire. A mechanic diagnosed it as a bad injector and was set to replace it but said he couldn't get things apart to get to it.

So my wife and I watch some YouTube videos and take on the job which took about four hours. We replaced all six injectors, spark plugs, PCV valve, and I swapped the #3 coil pack to cylinder 4 before closing it up. After firing it up, cylinder 4 misfire. Replaced the coil pack and everything was great for four months and 4,000 miles.

She calls me, check engine light blinking and running rough a month ago. Hook it up, cylinder 5 misfire. Luckily with long thin arms I could replace that one without tearing everything apart again. Van was again running fine for 1,000 miles.

Now this week. This time it is running rough, check engine light blinking, and white smoke from the tailpipe. I suspect the head gasket and start looking at it. No coolant missing, and the smoke from the exhaust smells of oil and gas. Scan reveals cylinder 2 misfire and a P0151 for the A/F O2 sensor right below that cylinder.

I pull the coil and swap it, doesn't fix it. Pull the plug and it is wet but I test it and it has good spark but I change it anyway. I change out the o2 sensor and no change. Finally I pull the injector and test it and spray choke cleaner goes right through it so I suspected it was stuck open. I get a new injector and put it in, not fixed.

It is however different. Although it is a little rough, it isn't as rough. I ran it and let it get up to temp at idle and revved it a bit and although it threw the misfire on #2 code again I cleared it and ran more and it didn't do it again. There is also far less smoke and the smoke that is coming out is the smell of burning oil and no gas odor.

Testing with a meter and test light I can see pulses on the front three injectors and can also feel them ticking with my finger when it is running. The only thing I noticed that seemed a little off was that with the ignition on there was only 9.5v at the injector wires and not full battery voltage.

Last, I used a block tested with the radiator and there was no color change in the fluid indicating that there was no combustion gases present in the coolant which would happen with a head leak of coolant.

I am at a loss on this one, no idea where to turn. It almost seems like it is something simple that I just have no clue about.

Can anyone assist with some ideas on where to look or what to check? I really appreciate it. Buying another vehicle is just tough as well as a big repair bill with all the crud going on lately in the country. My young daughter also wants "Nessy the Quessy" feeling good again.

Thank you.

Did you consider that you have a minor head gasket coolant leak into cylinder 2 when you noticed that the spark plug in cylinder 2 was wet and replaced it? It is not unlikely, and using K-Seal can fix it.

I recommend taking the #2 spark plug out and looking for persistent wetness in the cylinder; use a pipette, long dropper, or rolled up paper towel to check for coolant in there. If there is coolant, then it is worth using K-Seal (about $30 from Amazon) can place deposits and fiber and cure it for good where the gasket is seeping coolant.

Good luck.

Tags
misfire, quest, smoke