Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
1997 Quest trans whine in OD below 55 mph Forums > > 1997 Quest trans whine in OD below 55 mph 1997 Quest trans whine in OD below 55 mph
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Quest Nissan Quest Discussion Forum

Old 02-25-2019, 06:21 PM
1997 Quest

Default 1997 Quest trans whine in OD below 55 mph

I have a 1997 Quest that I bought in 1998 with 25K miles. It has always had a trans whine in OD below 55 mph. I have lived with the whine but it is annoying. I recently spoke with a friend that was the shop foreman at the Nissan dealership where I worked while living in CA. He said that he remembered a TSB for that problem but he didn't have the number. I Googled it today and came up with three TSB's. I don't know if these TSB's are related to my problem or not. The TSB numbers are NTB99030 NTB99030A and NTB98087

Someone mentioned a shifter cable vibrating problem (NTB00-066) but I don't think that pertains to the 97 Quest. The whine that I have is only when the trans is in OD and below 55 mph. If I'm driving along at 45 mph and the trans is in OD the whine is really loud and annoying. If I switch off the OD the whine goes away. When the whine is happening it is on acceleration and deceleration --if coasting you don't hear it much. I seem to remember that back in 1998-2000 the Nissan techs were saying that it was a gear problem and that not ALL 97 Quests had that problem--lucky me!

I had the trans replaced under the extended warranty at about 90K (2002)--I now have 179K on the meter. There was no difference in the whining problem after the trans was replaced. Now that the van has more miles on it the whine is somewhat louder. It sounds more like a gear whine to me.

Has anyone heard of this problem on 97 Quests?

Last edited by fred93; 02-25-2019 at 06:25 PM.

Tags
mph, quest, trans, whine