Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Quest 2004 SE P0303 cylinder 3 misfire problem Forums > > Quest 2004 SE P0303 cylinder 3 misfire problem Quest 2004 SE P0303 cylinder 3 misfire problem
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Quest Nissan Quest Discussion Forum

Old 01-15-2019, 03:54 PM
2004 Quest

Exclamation Quest 2004 SE P0303 cylinder 3 misfire problem

Recently got P0303 code and engine working rough.
Mechanic at shop was following their standards and replaced ignition coil for cylinder 3 (which doesn't make any difference).
Still have misfiring problem, same code shows BUT my CD changer (which never worked in this used Quest since I got it) started to act as designed and perfectly playng all CDs.
Another thing I got after mechanic touched everything under the hood trying to get manifold cover out - power mirrors started moving by their own without my interaction (which indicates that harness, short wires etc. problem involved instead od any mechanical or part problem.

Another thing to note regarding all this - misfiring happened 3-5 times week before I got to auto shop for fix, but after being turned off for minutes or hours Quest was able to start and run normally and no SES warning appeared at all.
After they replaced cylinder 3 ignition coil car never got back to normal.

What I suspect:
1 - it is not mechanical issue (otherwise it wouldn't be possible for car to run normally after giving p0303 code before mechanic).
2 - it is not related to coils or computer condition (for the same reason just explained - broken things cannot perform normally).
3 - it is obviously harness/wiring problem - might be some ground poits issue or bad wires inside of ignition coils sub-harness or alike.
One thing is for sure - if I will go to auto shop and will let them to fix it the way they do - it will cost me bunch of hundreds and after I will leave their shop I can get the same issue 5 minutes later (there a lot of unhappy folks on forums paid 25 or even 35 hundreds to dealers and got same problem on the same day)...

So I decided it would be at least good try to make dedicated connection for troubling cylinder coil using additional coil pigtail and build its own route to starting points (without using subharness pigtail and wires inside of harness 'cause I believe it has 'shorts' somewhere).

I struggling to find proper info and diargam showing where each of those 3 wires connecting to coil coming from.

I know that one of those is 12 volt source.
Another is Ground (chassis).
Third is PCM pulse command.

But it doesnt helps much to figure out which one must come to which pin and where each one originated at...

Looking for fellow Quest owners help/recommendations/diagrams etc. If anyone can give any advice, who knows - sometimes single word triggers idea...

I know this problem is common for Quests 2004-2007 so my hope is you figured out already what it is and how to fix it...

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by turyndyka; 01-15-2019 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:40 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

How do you know it's the coil circuit that's the problem and not the fuel injector circuit? Either would cause a misfire. And what if it's not a wiring problem but a driver in the ECM? And what if the other body component issues and the misfire are coincidence and not actually related to the same problem? Just something to think about before you start cutting apart the harness and possibly creating more problems. That said, the wiring diagrams for the coils are in the "Engine Control" section of the factory service manual. You may be able to find a downloadable "EC" section for your vehicle in the "knowledge base" at this site...or, you can access complete FSM's at Nico Club's site. FYI, the FSM diagnostic procedure for DTC P0303, also located in the "EC" section, will contain the test for those circuits you mentioned.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:51 AM
2004 Quest

It turns out that my suspicion about injector was correct and after cyl 3 injector was replaced with Bosch reman one - it is working.
But hours later I got misfire code p0300 (multiple/random cyl. misfire) and it misfiring on low idle. I going to clean MAF sensor today with liquid cleaner and hope it will help (but I am not sure it is the reson for p0300 alone). It is too cold to do it right away, will wait till noon.
It might be fuel filter as well but it is major headache to get it replaced in Quests (even proceeding from inside) so I will continue to eliminate other possible sources of misfire first...
Old 02-02-2019, 11:47 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Check the fuel pressure. If the fuel pressure is in specs, than the fuel filter is not the issue.

Tags
cylinder, misfire, p0303, problem, quest