Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
4 Power Steering Pumps 2 Alternators - Clicking noise Forums > > 4 Power Steering Pumps 2 Alternators - Clicking noise 4 Power Steering Pumps 2 Alternators - Clicking noise
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Quest Nissan Quest Discussion Forum

Old 04-24-2017, 11:26 AM
2005 Quest
2006 Titan Crew Cab

Default 4 Power Steering Pumps 2 Alternators - Clicking noise

So I have had this 2005 Quest SE for 6 months. Replaced the alternator immediately, then the power steering pump and rack, then the pump again, again and finally again after replacing the alternator a 2nd time. During the time I have had it has had a whine from the steering the majority of the time even after new pump was installed. There has also been an intermittent clicking noise that I was worried was the timing chain. After replacing steering pump noise would stop for a while. Then return. When mechanic replaced the alternator this last time he said the old one was loose. That was likely responsible for noise. When I got it back it made no clicking for a few days.

The timing cover looks like it has been removed and replaced as there is lots of excess RTV coming out of the cover. There is a deep whine that is non stop even when the clicking is gone. Not just when I turn the wheel. Though it does seem to cavitate when I turn the wheel. It seems that maybe I have an issue with the alignment of the belts? That is causing the pump and alternator to both fail??? Any thoughts? I have a timing kit ready and now don't think I need it.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:48 PM
2015 Rogue

Unfortunately timing chain issues are common in that engine. There is a good chance that it is coming from the chain. An easy way to confirm is to remove the belts and run the Engine. The noise will go away if it is related to anything driven by the belt.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:51 PM
2005 Quest
2006 Titan Crew Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpe235 View Post
Unfortunately timing chain issues are common in that engine. There is a good chance that it is coming from the chain. An easy way to confirm is to remove the belts and run the Engine. The noise will go away if it is related to anything driven by the belt.
I have gone back and forth on whether this is the problem. I had not thought about running it without belts.

The weird thing is that the ticking varies a lot. Sometimes silent sometimes pronounced. But why would it stop clicking if it was the chain?

I will try the no belt idea though. Thanks!
Old 04-24-2017, 03:53 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CordovaQuest View Post
I have gone back and forth on whether this is the problem. I had not thought about running it without belts.

The weird thing is that the ticking varies a lot. Sometimes silent sometimes pronounced. But why would it stop clicking if it was the chain?

I will try the no belt idea though. Thanks!
Usually the main guide for the tensioner side breaks so the plastic slides down to the bottom. Depending on how it is sitting the noise can sound different. There is a smaller cover that you can remove to see the tensioner.

Tags
alternators, clicking, noise, power, pumps, steering