Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
1999 Quest Dash Lights Forums > > 1999 Quest Dash Lights 1999 Quest Dash Lights
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Quest Nissan Quest Discussion Forum

Old 04-06-2017, 09:34 AM
1999 Quest

Default 1999 Quest Dash Lights

How do I remove the instrument cluster to change the dash light bulbs? It's hard keeping a flashlight in my mouth Thank you.
Old 09-21-2020, 12:59 PM

1999 Quest GXE

I had taken my 1999 Nissan Quest instrument cluster out twice to fix stuck tachometer. I used the following steps (retrieved from Nissan Quest Instrument Panel — Car Forums at Edmunds.com) posted by ebivens.

Good luck!

================================================== =======
You will need a T15 Torx and #2 phillips screwdriver, and about 30-45 minutes to do it.
1) If you are nervous about the electricity, consider disconnecting the battery before you start. There is a slight possibility of a hot plug touching ground and frying something, so take appropriate precautions.
2) Take out the ashtray/cupholder (there are little release buttons on either side just inside the ashtray track). Unscrew the 2 phillips screws that are exposed when you take out the ashtray. Pull off the center-console trim piece that surrounds the radio, ashtray, and has the 3 vents at the top. This thing is just friction-fitted, so just pry it off.
3) Pry off the sort-of-triangular trim piece on the left side of the instrument panel that holds the headlight switch. When you take it out, there will be 2 sets of wires that plug into the switches. Unplug them.
4) Unscrew the Phillips screw exposed when you took off the headlight switch trim piece.
5) There are two Phillips screws on the underside of the arched instrument panel - dashboard. Remove them.
6) Loosen the large plastic trim piece that was held on by these screws above. This still has the 4 or so switches attached on the right of the instruments.
7) Remove each of these 4 switch/plug combinations. I found that it was easier to pop each switch off, then remove the plug. Take your time & don't break anything here like I almost did. You may have to maneuver the steering wheel & gear shift lever around to get it out.
8) The clear plastic face of the instrument cluster should be exposed now. There are 4 Phillips screws that hold it in place. Remove them.
9) Carefully pull the instrument cluster away from its mounting location. There are 3 plugs that go into it that power everything. Remove these plugs. (Now would be a good time to replace any burned-out lights in the panel).
10) Take the instrument cluster somewhere you can work on it. Remove the 8 or so Torx screws that hold on the clear plastic face. Remove it & set it aside.
11) Using a pencil or similar instrument, carefully try to move the tachometer needle clockwise a higher reading on the guage & let go. It has a spring that should make the needle slowly return to zero. More than likely it doesn't move freely, which is the reason you are reading this in the first place. I found that the shaft of the tachometer is being rubbed by the faceplate just enough to make it stick.
12) The plastic face piece that has the tachometer numbers on it is attached to the plastic backing with a mild glue. Carefully & gently use your fingernails to peel it up & reposition it so it doesn't rub against the tachometer shaft. I wanted to make sure it stayed, so I put just a little touch of hotglue underneath it to secure it.
13) Once the tachometer moves freely, reassemble the instrument appurtanences in the reverse order in which it was disassembled.

Tags
1999, dash, lights, quest