Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Timing chain repair, timing too advanced, failure Forums > > Timing chain repair, timing too advanced, failure Timing chain repair, timing too advanced, failure
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Quest Nissan Quest Discussion Forum

Old 11-19-2016, 02:12 PM
2004 Quest

Default Timing chain repair, timing too advanced, failure

Over a year ago, we bought a 2004 quest with the infamous valve train failed tensioner guide issue. Paid our local dealership quite a bit to fix it and a few other issues, but over year and about 30K miles later, now a seemingly related but different issue has surfaced. We took a 300 mile round-trip to central Pennsylvania, and on the way out noticed the CEL turned on. No worries, I left my scanner at home, I'll check it when I get back. Being it was an overnight trip, the next morning I started to note a bit of a rattle, like detonation, when lifting my foot off the accelerator. Over the course of the next 150 miles (coming home), it got progressively worse, to where I wasn't sure if it was a rod knock starting to get worse. Soon as I rolled into town, the car dies and won't even crank about 2 miles from the house. I had it towed back to the house, and though after cooling off it will start, it makes a lot of valve-train noise, and not entirely that of the failed tensioner. There is a definite, random loud screech sounding almost like a bolt backing out somewhere and screeching against metal, as well as a loud tick like a bad lifter. Thing is, the noise is not as consistent as the original (1-1/2 year ago) timing chain rattle.

I'm looking for ideas, and what I can do to diagnose it. I'm going to try taking a sample of the oil from the drain to see if there is any accumulation of metal fragments... would it be worthwhile to pull the valve covers?

Thanks! Not sure if I'm up for pulling the timing chain cover off. No garage, and it is getting to be winter... otherwise, I'm certainly capable mechanically.
Old 12-31-2016, 04:02 AM
2004 Quest

Default Situation update on engine noise

Last week we took our Quest to the dealership for further diagnosis. They confirmed that it is a rod knock, the vehicle needs another engine. Of course it did not come without a bit of a comeuppance on my part; they pointed out that an oil change hadn't been done in some time. In fact, not since I had the timing chain work done.

Not sure if I'll do the swap in the spring or move on.

Tags
advanced, chain, failure, repair, timing