Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
1999 nissan quest ECM questions Forums > > 1999 nissan quest ECM questions 1999 nissan quest ECM questions
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Quest Nissan Quest Discussion Forum

Old 03-08-2016, 10:54 AM
1999 Quest
2009 Altima Sedan

Default 1999 nissan quest ECM questions

I have to do a trouble shooting from the ECM terminal. When doing this I encountered some problems I hope some experienced people can point me in the right direction.

1 the manual says the first thing to do is to remove the ECM harness cover(see attached photo). However after I unscrewed the bolt that holds the cover, I was not able to start the car. The engine cranks but not starts. Also OBD reader was not able to establish connection. The problem is gone once I re-tightened the bolt.

2 the 2nd question is when the bolt is fully unscrewed, it did not come off. I am afraid it could lead to some damage if I forcibly remove the bolt.

Any help is very much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
1999 nissan quest ECM questions-img_2866-1-jpg  
Old 03-09-2016, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
However after I unscrewed the bolt that holds the cover, I was not able to start the car. The engine cranks but not starts.
That's normal, the engine should start without the connector fully connected. The ECM is what send the signal to spark plugs and injectors.

Quote:
2 the 2nd question is when the bolt is fully unscrewed, it did not come off. I am afraid it could lead to some damage if I forcibly remove the bolt.
No the bolt does not come out, is an special screw that is attached to the connector.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:25 AM
1999 Quest
2009 Altima Sedan

Thanks for the reply. However, how I am going to remove the cover if the bolt does not come out?
Old 03-09-2016, 11:40 AM
1999 Quest
2009 Altima Sedan

Do I have to remove the connector from ECM? But I want the connector to stay on so as to measure the signals.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesabrn View Post
Thanks for the reply. However, how I am going to remove the cover if the bolt does not come out?
Remove the connector first, unscrew the bolt all the way out and pull out the connector. Once the connector is out, then just unclip the cover from the connector.