Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Do you HAVE to reprogram the TCM, if replaced with a used one? Forums > > Do you HAVE to reprogram the TCM, if replaced with a used one? Do you HAVE to reprogram the TCM, if replaced with a used one?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Quest Nissan Quest Discussion Forum

Old 02-16-2016, 01:32 PM
2005 Quest

Default Do you HAVE to reprogram the TCM, if replaced with a used one?

I have read and read and read on forums that all my "symptoms" sound like the TCM, I can order a used one for 65 bucks, 550 for one through nissan here. If I order a used one, and make sure part numbers all match, does it need to be reprogrammed at a dealer? or will it "relearn" on its own?
Old 02-24-2016, 12:47 PM
2006 Quest

What symptoms are you having? I'm curious about this to
Old 02-24-2016, 01:27 PM
2005 Quest

Our symptoms are a hard "kick" when re-accelerating from slowing or a stop, and an occasional kick when it shifts, tho they are rare. Also have had one instance where the wife was driving, and received NO power to the wheels, rpm's everything like normal, she shut it off let it set for 2 hours or so, started and no issues except for the kick. The kick is only after it has had time to run and "warm up". Ours runs sweet outside of that
Old 02-24-2016, 01:48 PM
2006 Quest

Ok thanks. We have been having trouble with our quest. Its been going into limp mode. Tech said it was the ECM not communicating with the transmission. We sent the ecm off to be tested and it's fine. Just wondering if we were having the sane issues and if you could share info. I'm thinking our problem is the trans control module. ( but we aren't getting and codes)
Old 02-25-2016, 11:33 AM
2005 Quest

Same as ours, tho the "limp" mode has only been one time, guy at the shop told me the same thing, and said to replace the tcm would be cheaper at the dealer due to reprogramming either the ecm or the tcm. Dealer here is 95$ just for basic diagnosis, I think Im just going to order a used tcm and swap it, worst case it runs the same right? Was hopeful maybe someone knew for certain if the tcm HAD to be programmed... TCM at the dealer list for $505, and thats part only, it seems easy enough to change tho
Old 02-25-2016, 01:37 PM
2006 Quest

My mech thought my ecm was the problem but I sent it to ecurepair1 to have it tested. Cost me $90 but it turned out good. The advice getting to is the tcm. I was told by the dealer that they do not have to be reprogrammed, but you have to match the part numbers. I've got a good working unit coming for $90. As long AC it's the sabe part number it shoukd plug right in and be read. My ecu is losing communication with my transmission so I hope that's it.
Old 02-28-2016, 12:54 PM
2005 Quest

I just ordered one for ours for 55 bucks too, exact part number matches, 31036-710, so Im hopeful too that it fixes the issue, its a "good - used". Keep me posted, and I will you as well, good luck
Old 06-03-2016, 11:57 AM
2006 Quest

any update? I hope to have time to replace mine this weekend.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:28 AM
2002 Altima Sedan

I just replaced my tcm with a used one from another 2002 altima . Now I'm getting A u1000 can com circuit fault. Not had time to put my old tcm back in to see if the code goes away. Will do that this weekend

Tags
replaced, reprogram, tcm