Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
1999 Quest high mileage questions. Forums > > 1999 Quest high mileage questions. 1999 Quest high mileage questions.
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Quest Nissan Quest Discussion Forum

Old 07-25-2015, 08:24 PM
1999 Quest

Default 1999 Quest high mileage questions.

Hello,

My apologies for the long post, but want to provide full information on vehicle.

I bought a 99 Nissan Quest SE 3.3L with known overheating issues for the body and tires, as I suspected the engine had been overheated and blown, (white smoke from exhaust suggesting blown head gasket at minimum) so I didn't have a lot of money into this vehicle. I basically paid for a nice body and new tires, working AC.

The vehicle had high mileage (284,000), so I made a decision to install a used engine with relatively low mileage (100K) from a 2000 Villager rather than spend money trying to repair the original engine. I had the replacement engine installed by a professional mechanic. I provided new belts, hoses, water pump, timing belt, valve cover gaskets, intake gaskets, power steering pump, power steering high pressure hose & low pressure hose, starter, power steering fluid, oil, oil filter, radiator, radiator fluid, spark plugs, spark plug wires and just about anything I could think of to have maximum success with the new engine. My father was a mechanic and while I'm not, I believe if you're going to spend money on an engine swap, give it a good chance of success.

The mechanic I hired was a former Nissan mechanic. Here's what he told me: The radiator was bad and was likely the cause of the engine failure. Whoever had it before me drove it for a long time with the engine/transmission being overheated and cooked, hence the blown head gasket. He advised replacing the O2 sensors and the knock sensor. He also said the transmission should last a while longer if driven gently, but would likely fail within a year. (The tranny fluid is somewhat dark & brownish.)

He advised against changing the fluid, stating he felt the transmission is more likely to quit if I do so. Unfortunately, he did not determine transmission issues until after engine was installed in vehicle, so I did not have the option of installing a replacement transmission when the replacement engine was installed.

Even though he advised against replacing the transmission fluid, I'm inclined to have the fluid and filter changed and the debris in the transmission cleaned out to see if it helps. I've also debated adding an addictive such as TransX and/or Luca's transmission fix to clean clean the cylinders and get a bit more life out of the old transmission seals before I have to replace the transmission if I can. Finally, I've located a very low mileage transmission (less than 70K) and am seriously thinking about buying it as a replacement transmission and having it installed.

After getting the van back from the engine installer, I took the vehicle to a front end & brake man today. He replaced both front tie rods, as they were worn out, then did a front end alignment. Also turned front rotors & replaced front pads. Back brakes shoes checked okay.

On the half hour trip over to the front end & brake shop:

When the vehicle was cold, it drove reasonably well all the way to the brake shop, except it didn't like sitting at stop lights and felt like it might cut off. At highway speeds it maintained speed well and I was able to use cruise control. But after being parked for a few minutes at the brake shop, the warm engine had no power and would not respond to the throttle. The engine did not appear to rev any and would only accelerate very slowly.

After the new tie rods were installed and the brakes were done, I filled the tank up with fresh fuel, as I wasn't sure of the age of the fuel in the tank, which was below 1/4 tank. Adding the fresh fuel did not change the lack of throttle response from idle at a stop light. The vehicle almost wouldn't start off.

The mechanic who installed the replacement engine had pulled the OBD codes at his shop and listed them on the bill he gave me. Here they are, with check engine light on:

P0171 - system too lean bank 1 (cylinder 1 side)
P0325 - knock sensor circuit malfunction
P0750 - Shift solenoid A malfunction
P1760 - Overrun Clutch Solenoid Valve (Circuit)

Would really appreciate ideas/suggestions/input on what's the better way to go related to three things:

1. The O2 sensors and knock sensor replacement. (I would like to save some money if possible.)
2. Changing the transmission fluid/filter vs. leaving it alone and just driving it till it quits.
3. Going ahead and buying a replacement used transmission.

I hope this isn't too much information and I appreciate any input anyone has related to this vehicle.

Thank you for your help,

Dave
Old 07-26-2015, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

You could wait with the knock sensor, even if you change it you may not even feel the difference. With the P0171 you may have to do some more diagnose, because could be something else, like intake leak or even the Mass Air Flow sensor.

Now the transmission codes are a bit more complicated. Unfortunately, because of the age and mileage of your Quest, there is a big chance that there is mechanical problem. At this point changing the fluid and adding fluid additives may be too late. The best way to find out is by removing the transmission pan and check for debris on the pan. Excessive debris on the pan means that there are mechanical problems with the transmission.

Tags
1999, high, mileage, quest, questions