Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2008 Nissan Quest 3.5 SL - Heater loses Heat Forums > > 2008 Nissan Quest 3.5 SL - Heater loses Heat 2008 Nissan Quest 3.5 SL - Heater loses Heat
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Quest Nissan Quest Discussion Forum

Old 01-13-2015, 11:25 AM
2008 Quest
2008 Quest

Default 2008 Nissan Quest 3.5 SL - Heater loses Heat

I have an 08 Nissan Quest SL with automatic thermostat. I have reported this issue to the dealership years ago, they tested it and said they cannot find anything wrong.

Unrelated (kind of) Right before Christmas 2014, I had to spend $2,000 to replace the blower motor because it started vibrating--huge job since they had to take entire dash off to get to it and then part was on backorder (found out only after they removed my entire dash), and it took them two days to find a blower motor for my car.

Anyway, my initial heater issue continues, but it is something I only notice on long trips. When I drive on the HIGHWAY, after about 15 to 20 minutes, I lose heat temperature. I generally have my thermostat set at 71-73. Right now, the issue seems to get worse or occur more quickly, where I start off with the heat getting really really hot (feels more like 80 even though thermostat is set at 71), then after about 15 minutes, I have no hot air coming out at all. Until I stop, shut the car off and restart it later, then I get heat again. The dealership a couple years ago, told me not to use the automatic feature on my HVAC unit because he said that the van is so large, it takes a long time to heat, that I would be better off just shutting off the auto feature and just setting the temp and using the fan speed to control the heat force. I think this is a bogus solution and isn't working anyway. I'm so frustrated because now the car is recently off warranty, and this issue has been going on since back when it was under warranty. I have the service slips showing that I complained about it back in 2012. I called Nissan Corporate and they told me it is an issue I need to bring up to the dealership; that they can't help. Back then, I would only notice it when I was going on a long ride during cold temps--like twice a year at Thanksgiving and Christmas when I would visit my sister 50 miles away--halfway home, I would lose the heat temperature. The blower would and is still blowing, just not hot. And if I turn the thermostat up to 83, for example, it does nothing. Also, now I'm noticing when I put my heat on, it seems to get really really hot (way hotter than what I have the thermostat set to) before it stops exuding heat.

Of note, when I do use the AUTO feature, the A/C button lights up. If I then manually shut off the A/C button, the auto button shuts off. I actually took a video of this; it was too large to upload, so I published it in Youtube. You can see it here: 2008 nissan quest SL heating issues - YouTube. I've tried to ask the dealership to explain why the A/C button comes on everytime I hit auto and the service manager cannot explain it, and that was when he told me to forego the AUTO feature and just start the heat manually--STUPID!
2000 Nissan Altima GLE - Traded in at ~100K
1993 Nissan Altima GLE - (first year they made Altimas) Engine Died at ~100K
Old 02-09-2015, 04:43 PM
Enthusiast
2004 Quest
2004 Quest SL

I would check the following:
1. ambient temperature sensor (the sensor that tells the computer what temperature the cabin is).
2. Water pump
3. You may have a clog in your heater core (usually a HUGE job), but I don't know about it on a Quest - you might be able to just disconnect the hoses at the firewall and flush it out with a garden hose.
4. Thermostat, which I think you already mentioned.
5. Check the temperature setting actuator - it may be faulty (I had a chevy blazer that ran all those actuators on vacuum lines and it had a notorious problem of getting oil into the vacuum lines, thereby negatively impacting the actuator's functionality).
6. If there's a relay in line with the HVAC system, you might check that too (I'm sure someone more of an expert can weigh-in here)...

About the Auto & A/C being turned on - I believe that is a default - drier air is generally more comfortable than humid air. Drier air is also most effective for defrosting purposes. As such, it seems reasonable to assume the A/C turning on when you push "auto" is an intended function.
My Infiniti I30 did that too - I always had to push the "a/c off" button when I didn't want to run the a/c.

Let us know what you find - interesting problem! (Sorry you're having to deal with that!)

Tags
2008, heat, heater, loses, nissan, quest