Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2000 Nissan Quest misfire Forums > > 2000 Nissan Quest misfire 2000 Nissan Quest misfire
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Quest Nissan Quest Discussion Forum

Old 02-05-2014, 07:34 PM
2000 Quest

Default 2000 Nissan Quest misfire

Hi everyone,

In the past year I've had a lot of work done to my 2000 Nissan Quest. In July 2012 my distributor died on me while I was on the interstate, so I got a new distributor. Just a week ago, in order to pass the emissions test, I got the knock sensor replaced (in my state knock sensors fail cars on emissions...smh), spark plugs replaced, some hose replaced.

The day after my van passed the emissions inspection, I went to a gas station to fill up the tank (it was low on fuel). About 10 minutes of driving after filling the van with gas, there was a violent misfire reminiscent to the time my distributor failed on me on the highway. Of course I must add, literally hours before my distributor messed up on the highway last summer---I had filled up the car with gas at a gas station.

The reason why I'm posting here is because I have a feeling the mechanics that I have taken my van to are not paying much attention to the particular circumstance of my story regarding filling up the van with gas. Today they did the computer diagnosis, they said that it's giving a "misfire" code, P0300. They recommended a new timing belt, although my van has only 92k miles (manual says they are due at 105k).

So would a timing belt really solve the misfire problem? There has been a communication issue, the shop I take the van to is really busy, and I told the people at the desk about how I had filled up with gas right before the misfire. They listened to me and I know they weren't ignoring me, but I'm pretty sure that they forgot to tell the mechanic who diagnosed my car with the misfire. I really wish I told the mechanic about filling up gas, cause then I feel he would give me a more sophisticated opinion than just to say I should try getting a new timing belt.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

P.S. Is this a likely parallel to my problem? Would this cost a lot? Fuel Injectors May Fail and Cause Drivability Concerns : Nissan Quest Common Engine Problems
Old 02-06-2014, 10:45 AM
G47

what octane fuel are you using? I would recommend you use 91 octane from Shell and use a good fuel system cleaner like BG 44k
a very common problem to to get p0300 when your low octane fuel in the long run.
also I would recommend a intake flush to get rid of carbon building up in the intake manifold and valves.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:10 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

I suggest you take your car to another shop that has the proper diagnostic tool, more than a code reader that gives you the code. A random misfire is caused by a few things. An oscilloscope or similar tool that can monitor your cylinder in real time and record the misfire.

If you are DIY the troubleshooting, then check the link below.

P0300 Nissan Cylinder Misfire Detected Random Cylinders OBDII Engine Light Trouble Code | Engine-Codes.com
Old 02-07-2014, 01:12 PM
2000 Quest

G47-I had filled it up with regular gas at a Shell gas station, although it might have not been 91 octane (I'm thinking maybe 89 or 87, I'll check next time I pass by the station). When I posted in the yahoo group for quest and villager owners, a guy also suggested a fuel cleaner could help. He told me "run Techron at double length (a full bottle)" but I suppose if BG 44k is easiest to find I'd just try that.

benny-Yes, this is a good idea. I'm thinking it's very likely the shop I went to did not have an oscilloscope. I think that tool could really help me. Since I have like no mechanic experience, chances are I won't be doing much troubleshooting myself, although I got a few pointers on some "easy checks" I should do from the quest villager yahoo group. Although it's most likely that I take it to a place with an oscilloscope, after I put in some fuel cleaner.

NOTE: when I had the misfire last week, the car vibrated violently and the check engine light went on blinking (without staying steady). I stopped the car without turning off the ignition, than drove very slowly back home and there was no violent vibration after, but when I drove back home the check engine light stayed on steady (no blinking). Just two days ago the check engine light turned off. Does this mean anything? I read somewhere that an oscilloscope can still detect a misfire even if the check engine light is off. Is this true? I hope so

Guys thanks so much for the replies. This really helps and I think this is what I'm going to do as soon as i have time

--First I will run fuel cleaner.
--Then I will take it to a shop with an oscilloscope.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:25 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

It could be as simple as a busted intake hose or vacuum hose. To take the guesswork out of the equation before replacing parts, get the correct diagnostics done.

Also I suggest to use Techron for initial treatment. Chevron invented Techron which is a commercial name for PEA - Polyether amine and it license to fuel additives companies . If Chevron, Texaco or Caltex gasolines are available in your area, I also suggest to use it as it contains Techron in all their gas grades.

Last year Road and Track magazine ran an article titled Fuel Additives: Reality vs. Fiction which I've found very interesting topic to read. For more info. on Techron, visit techron.com.

Sponsored Content - Fuel Additives: Reality vs. Fiction - Road & Track
Old 02-21-2014, 02:50 PM
2000 Quest

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyb53 View Post
It could be as simple as a busted intake hose or vacuum hose. To take the guesswork out of the equation before replacing parts, get the correct diagnostics done.

Also I suggest to use Techron for initial treatment. Chevron invented Techron which is a commercial name for PEA - Polyether amine and it license to fuel additives companies . If Chevron, Texaco or Caltex gasolines are available in your area, I also suggest to use it as it contains Techron in all their gas grades.

Last year Road and Track magazine ran an article titled Fuel Additives: Reality vs. Fiction which I've found very interesting topic to read. For more info. on Techron, visit techron.com.

Sponsored Content - Fuel Additives: Reality vs. Fiction - Road & Track
Hi there, just wanted to post an update. I took my van to a second garage for a second opinion. Even though the car had only travelled a total of 12 miles since the previous misfire two weeks ago (I had barely driven it since the last misfire), this second mechanic just told me today that he sees no misfire at all, and that the car computer is not even giving any misfire code (it was giving me p300 just 2 weeks ago). He seemed pretty honest about it and did not charge me for diagnostics. So as a precaution I bought Chevron "Pro-Gard" fuel injector cleaner, which had a "with Techron" label on it. I'm going to drive it to and from my college and then I'll report back to the group on whether the misfire has successfully dissapeared. Bennyb thank you for your opinion on the fuel cleaners, as soon as I saw "with techron" written on the bottle I thought I should buy it (only cost me $8!)
Old 03-06-2014, 10:25 PM
2001 Quest

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleki View Post
Hi there, just wanted to post an update. I took my van to a second garage for a second opinion. Even though the car had only travelled a total of 12 miles since the previous misfire two weeks ago (I had barely driven it since the last misfire), this second mechanic just told me today that he sees no misfire at all, and that the car computer is not even giving any misfire code (it was giving me p300 just 2 weeks ago). He seemed pretty honest about it and did not charge me for diagnostics. So as a precaution I bought Chevron "Pro-Gard" fuel injector cleaner, which had a "with Techron" label on it. I'm going to drive it to and from my college and then I'll report back to the group on whether the misfire has successfully dissapeared. Bennyb thank you for your opinion on the fuel cleaners, as soon as I saw "with techron" written on the bottle I thought I should buy it (only cost me $8!)
I'd suggest you join me on the Villager/Quest Yahoo message boards
They're more in tune to the V41 '99-'02 Nissan Quest

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...sations/topics
Old 03-07-2014, 12:10 PM
2000 Quest

UPDATE:

After around 300 miles of peaceful driving since my early February violent misfire, yesterday while idling at a stoplight I heard an extremely loud noise from under the hood and I immediately took it to the garage (I was on my way to school) because it was just that loud.

I got it diagnosed today and got codes P300, P302. Mechanic at the Nissan service center says my fuel injector #2 is bad, and that because it "spits" less fuel than the other five injectors, the other five injectors try to make up for the one bad injector, giving a random misfire reading even though apparently only one of six injectors are bad. They recommended me to replace all six injectors and quoted me a hefty $1900. They said if they were to replace only injector #2, that I would be charged $660 (everything, parts+labor+etc included). I'm planning on making a few calls to some other garages and researching this a day or two before making a decision, but I wanted to ask for your opinions. Is $660 for a fuel injector typical? Any advice on my next move?

mikeluscher: I'll gladly join the '99-02 section of the yahoo group the next time I'm on the computer. Good to get a reply from a fellow 99-02 quest owner!
Old 03-07-2014, 01:13 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Quote:
UPDATE:

I got it diagnosed today and got codes P300, P302. Mechanic at the Nissan service center says my fuel injector #2 is bad, and that because it "spits" less fuel than the other five injectors, the other five injectors try to make up for the one bad injector, giving a random misfire reading even though apparently only one of six injectors are bad.
The explanation is flat out False, LOL. Other good working injectors do not make up for bad injector(s).

For about $10. you can buy a Automotive Stethoscope and you can listen to each injector. A normal working injector has a fast, steady clicking sound. And you can tell which is a bad one. At this time I would also do a fuel pressure test. A failing fuel pressure regulator will cause fuel pressure to fluctuate and cause a random misfire.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:59 PM
2000 Quest

Quote:
The explanation is flat out False, LOL. Other good working injectors do not make up for bad injector(s).

For about $10. you can buy a Automotive Stethoscope and you can listen to each injector. A normal working injector has a fast, steady clicking sound. And you can tell which is a bad one. At this time I would also do a fuel pressure test. A failing fuel pressure regulator will cause fuel pressure to fluctuate and cause a random misfire.
Do you think I could get a fuel pressure test done at a run-of-the-mill garage? And would a person like me with no auto-mech experience be able to use an automotive stethoscope?
Old 03-07-2014, 11:55 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

May be you should take it to the second garage who didn't charge you to read the code. He earned your business.

Absolutely you can use the stethoscope unless you're Hearing Impaired.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:34 PM
2000 Quest

Quote:
May be you should take it to the second garage who didn't charge you to read the code. He earned your business.

Absolutely you can use the stethoscope unless you're Hearing Impaired.
Thanks a lot for the advice so far. I just bought a "Cal Hawk" automotive stethoscope on ebay for $7.90. I talked with the guy who gave me the free diagnostics last time (second garage) and he says he'd be happy to give me a fuel pressure test on Monday, March 10.

One thing I wanted to ask you about is on the order and location of the fuel injectors. Tomorrow I will post a second time, because I hafta go to bed real soon. I noticed that only three of the six fuel injectors are visible upon opening the hood of my Quest. I realized, after looking around, that the other three injectors appear to be behind the big black compartment thing at the upper area of the engine bay (closer to the windshield). A fourth injector was clearly visible upon looking behind this big black cowling, so I presume the fifth and sixth injectors are somewhere further behind there.

My question is, which of these will be the number 2 injector? Will it be the second after the farthest-left injector outside of the black cowling? If my question is too fluffy, I will post a pic from my phone tomorrow to explain what I'm talking about.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:25 AM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

You are correct. Cylinders 1,2,3 (aka bank 1) is firewall side or cowl side. The radiator side is cyl. 4,5,6 (bank 2). The injector follows the cyl. location.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:11 PM
2000 Quest

update: I got the fuel pressure test done today at the second garage where the mechanic gave me a free diagnostic earlier, he says the fuel pressure is perfect (~45 psi) and that my misfire is not from fuel pressure.

But he said when he took my spark plugs out that they were "very white" and this indicated that my engine was "getting too much air." He explained to me that misfires can happen if the cylinders get either too much fuel or too much air, and that the engine was getting too much air, which apparently points to a vacuum leak. He told me that a bad fuel injector would not cause this--so when my stethoscope arrives in the mail I will double-check to be sure.

When he told me this, I was reminded of an earlier suggestion I got regarding my van from my colleagues at jiffylube, they said my air filter box (big black compartment) was really bent and that it would inevitably trigger a mass air sensor signal to the check engine light. Could this also cause the misfire I'm having? The guy at the garage today told me he could "re-bend" the air filter box by taking it out, heating up the plastic and rebend it so that it could close more tightly than it closes now. He says to do this he would only charge me one hour of labor, vs. the $660 the dealer wanted me to pay for a new injector.

So here are my next moves:

-Wait for stethoscope to arrive in mail, re-check to see if my fuel injectors (particularly number 2) are bad.
-Get my air filter box rebended and all that stuff checked to make less excess air flow in the engine.

--Any other pointers? Thoughts?
Old 03-11-2014, 09:51 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Quote:
update:
When he told me this, I was reminded of an earlier suggestion I got regarding my van from my colleagues at jiffylube, they said my air filter box (big black compartment) was really bent and that it would inevitably trigger a mass air sensor signal to the check engine light. Could this also cause the misfire I'm having? The guy at the garage today told me he could "re-bend" the air filter box by taking it out, heating up the plastic and rebend it so that it could close more tightly than it closes now. He says to do this he would only charge me one hour of labor, vs. the $660 the dealer wanted me to pay for a new injector.
--Any other pointers? Thoughts?
1. It is a possibility tho I don't know how big the gap is. The air filter box is before the MAF so air going thru the gap is still pass thru the MAF. But, depending on big the gap is, water or moisture could be suck into.

I don't know how the air box got bent but it may have affected the MAF housing and/or intake tube. So inspect MAF housing and intake tube all to the way to throttle body for cracks.

Also search for filter box on eBay instead trying to repair a damaged air box. Visit allamericanautosalvage.com, or aaaparts.com. I have bought a PS Pump from AAA pulled from '03 Altima for $35. almost 2 years ago and it still working. Of course I have my oem ps pump as spare.

Tags
2000, misfire, nissan, quest