Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2000 Nissan Quest check engine light on and off Forums > > 2000 Nissan Quest check engine light on and off 2000 Nissan Quest check engine light on and off
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Quest Nissan Quest Discussion Forum

Old 09-13-2013, 08:06 PM
2000 Quest

Default 2000 Nissan Quest check engine light on and off

Hi there,

My 2000 Nissan Quest "Service Engine Soon" light turned on today for the first time in like 4 months or so. It gave me two codes; P0325 and P0455 (EVAP Control and knock sensor I understand). I live in northern Virginia which is I think one of the most strict states in the country when it comes to emissions inspections (although my next emissions inspection is not until February 2014 I believe)--over here I understand that my car would get failed even over the knock sensor, if not at least for the EVAP issue.

The strange thing is this--the Service Engine light basically goes on and off in intervals of two to three months (it will stay on for like one month or longer, and then turn off randomly without me having anything repaired for like 3 months or more). The last time my service engine light was on several months ago, I got the exact same codes (P0325 and P0455) that I got today.

The garages around here charge out the wazzoo for knock sensor replacement, two different mechanics quotes me $1,000 and when the time comes I am going to try very hard to find a way not to spend one grand over knock sensors, especially if the EVAP problem is going to end up costing alot. I see that on this very forum a user named "bobbyknapp" who posted this thread on his attempt to solve the knock sensor issue: Quest trouble code..Knock Sensor P0325

I looked through the thread and I just wanted to ask whether it is a smart option for a person with no mechanic experience (this is me) to try to order a subharness and maybe try to plug it in place of the harness currently attached to my knock sensor. Honestly though if it's a higher-risk kind of job with a chance of me screwing something up I probably wouldn't even try--but I do genuinely want to learn more about how to work with my car. Any advice appreciated.

Tags
2000, check, engine, light, nissan, quest