Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
96 Nissan quest shifts hard from 1st to 2nd Forums > > 96 Nissan quest shifts hard from 1st to 2nd 96 Nissan quest shifts hard from 1st to 2nd
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Quest Nissan Quest Discussion Forum

Old 08-19-2013, 04:58 PM
1996 Quest quest

Default 96 Nissan quest shifts hard from 1st to 2nd

I have researched this issue and noticed that its a common enough problem that I feel comfortable with replacing the dropping resistor, however regardless of what search I do I can't seem to find the correct information on where this part is located. I also can not find this part at any parts store I was hoping to not only figure out the cost but what the resistor actually looks like. any help with this would be extremely appreciated. I am really reluctant to take my van to a shop being a fairly decent diesel mechanic myself. I feel as though I am hunting for a phantom part.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:45 AM
G47

The part is located near the battery, It will be an aluminum part, see it in picture below

Old 08-22-2013, 05:06 PM
1996 Quest quest

Unfortunately, I am still at a loss. I have looked all over this engine compartment and have found nothing remotely resembling the pic. even took battery and box out, nothing but shielded harness going every which way. I did however, download the trans Redirect Notice manual. which says that the dropping resistor is located at rear of engine...looked and nothing. Instead of smashing everything which was my first instinct, I decided to go ahead and run through the resistance tests. very first test is for the splendid itself which according to my multi it failed. the only consistent reading was .994. I believe this means I have only two options one hope that a flush frees up a possibly gunked up splendid or two roll it off a cliff. please, please, please any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:09 PM
1996 Quest quest

My apologies. I am having to post with my phone. splendid = solenoid
Old 09-12-2013, 07:53 AM
1998 Quest

Default Obdll code 0745 line pressure control solenoide

Based on other discussions you should check the resistence on the red wire that comes from the trans case the red colored plug attached to the trans near the starter unplug it and see if it measures from 2.5 to 5 ohmsThat the wire that feeds your line press cntrl sole also momentarily apply 12volts with plug unconnected and listen for the op of the sole caution make sure u are testing toward tranny not tcm

Tags
1st, 2nd, dropping resistor, hard, nissan, quest, shifts