Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Looking for 2000 Nissan Quest advice on the following issues Forums > > Looking for 2000 Nissan Quest advice on the following issues Looking for 2000 Nissan Quest advice on the following issues
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Quest Nissan Quest Discussion Forum

Old 08-11-2013, 04:00 PM
2000 Quest

Default Looking for 2000 Nissan Quest advice on the following issues

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and I drive a 2000 Nissan Quest with only 88k miles. My parents had bought it three years ago from my own recommendation, as I had spotted the car on Autotrader with low mileage and I had a feeling it would be a great buy. Now since I'm a commuter to college from this semester, it is close to certain that my parents are practically giving the car to me. I really want to learn how to take care of it to see whether I can actually keep the car as opposed to spending the little money I have on another car that would probably be just as old as this. From joining this forum I hope to learn a little bit on how to do simple things with my car although I do not have legit mechanic experience (I've been working at a local Jiffy Lube since June although the job has only taught me marginal things about cars).

The issues:
  • The check engine light is OFF, but it had been on several months ago and gave off two codes (one for knock sensor and one for EVAP Control), and I did not replace either part before the check engine light randomly turned off a couple of months ago. Should I still consider replacing the knock sensor (I was told that this is a $1,000 repair!) and the EVAP control (how expensive is this repair?) or should I wait for the car to go through the emissions inspection a few months down the road and then make a decision?

Brakes make a high-pitched screeching noise at times. The brakes themselves seem to be working adequately. I recall reading in the manual that the brake pads are made so as to give off a high pitched-sound when the brake pads need to be replaced. Is this correct?

When the car is idle in Drive, it has been making a very noticeable vibrating sound from under the hood. I looked under the hood while the car was running idle in park (the sound when the car is in parked is not as pronounced but is still noticeable) and I noticed the little black belt (is this a serpentine belt?) being spun by the wheel and the big metallic block next to the running belt (on the right hand lower corner of the picture in the attachment) making that vibrating sound I've been hearing. Is this bad? Is there anything I should do? Otherwise, the belt seems to be in good condition and the wheel that runs it shows no sign of being loose or anything.

Notes:
  • The Quest's distributor was replaced in late June 2013. It had died on my when I was driving on the interstate alone late at night and it was a little bit of an unnerving experience. The mechanic told me that distributors on 99-02 Quests and Villagers have a notorious reputation--is this true? How long will my new distributor work properly?
  • If I were to try to replace bulbs and some simple things by myself on this car, what kind of supplies should I get? Should I get a flat 10 mm screw driver at Autozone? Would a 10 mm flat be useable for replacing my air filter? I just want to know whether I need to get a 10mm or a different measurement (I heard I might need an 8mm).

Thanks for reading!
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for 2000 Nissan Quest advice on the following issues-new-pictores-031-jpg  
Old 08-14-2013, 10:17 AM
G47

"The check engine light is OFF, but it had been on several months ago and gave off two codes (one for knock sensor and one for EVAP Control), and I did not replace either part before the check engine light randomly turned off a couple of months ago. Should I still consider replacing the knock sensor (I was told that this is a $1,000 repair!) and the EVAP control (how expensive is this repair?) or should I wait for the car to go through the emissions inspection a few months down the road and then make a decision?"

what code you have exactly have? for the Evap problem it could be a broken hose, bad solenoid valve, evap canister or etc. It has to be looked at and code will also help

"Brakes make a high-pitched screeching noise at times. The brakes themselves seem to be working adequately. I recall reading in the manual that the brake pads are made so as to give off a high pitched-sound when the brake pads need to be replaced. Is this correct?"

most likely the brake pads are making the noise. you can use posi-quiet brake pads next time you get your brakes serviced.

"When the car is idle in Drive, it has been making a very noticeable vibrating sound from under the hood. I looked under the hood while the car was running idle in park (the sound when the car is in parked is not as pronounced but is still noticeable) and I noticed the little black belt (is this a serpentine belt?) being spun by the wheel and the big metallic block next to the running belt (on the right hand lower corner of the picture in the attachment) making that vibrating sound I've been hearing. Is this bad? Is there anything I should do? Otherwise, the belt seems to be in good condition and the wheel that runs it shows no sign of being loose or anything."

The picture you posted is the A/C compressor making the noise
Old 08-14-2013, 08:04 PM
2000 Quest

Thanks a lot for the reply. Although I do not have the code, I remember the receipt from Autozone saying "EVAP Control...leak detected." Does this narrow down the possibilities for the EVAP control issue?

Thanks for letting me know about what I was looking at [in the mobile phone picture]. I guess my AC compressor shakes a lot, but the thing is I never even have the a/c on even though it's the summer. Is the compressor active when the A/C is off or is the shaking/vibrating from the spinning belt next to the compressor?

Otherwise, I hope one day I can give almost as useful input to this forum as you can. I'm just going to read threads and try to learn and read more than post

Cheers!

Tags
2000, advice, issues, nissan, quest